Position **: Senior Logistics Officer (for Nationals only)**
Starting date **: March 2021**
Duty station **: Kampala**
Reports to **: Manager of Operations**
Date of posting **: 18th January 2021**
We are here for our neighbours in need, who are suffering in this broken world.
ZOA, as an international NGO, supports people who have lost everything due to armed conflict or natural disaster. Together, we can come to their aid in emergencies and remain faithful to communities as they recover – providing new opportunities for them to help themselves again. The work of ZOA is coordinated from the Netherlands. We are active in multiple countries in Africa, South America, the Middle East Region, and Asia. We work with approximately 900 employees worldwide and with (local) partners. We invite you to join our team of committed colleagues.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for a:
Senior Logistics Officer
Purpose of the position
The Senior Logistics Officer Kampala is focal point for logistics related functions in the ZOA Uganda country officer, Kampala, carrying out procurement at Country Office level, and supporting ZOA programme offices in logistics functions where needed.
Logistics functions include: procurement (according to the ZOA Procurement Guidelines), storage and warehousing of goods, transport and fleet management (vehicles and motorbikes), driver support, shipment, IT support, asset management, supporting health & safety and security at ZOA offices and bases.
The Senior Logistics Officer is tasked to train and support other logistics staff in ZOA programme locations and projects. Some field travel may be required.
Place in organisation
The Senior Logistics Officer Kampala is employed full time by ZOA Uganda and is line managed by/reports to the Manager of Operations.
The Senior Logistics Officer Kampala supervises the 2 Kampala drivers, and is responsible for planning their schedule and leave with them.
The position is recruited at Senior Logistics Officer level in the ZOA Uganda Salary Scale (scale 4).
Responsibilities and activities
- Responsible for the execution and coordination of procurement of goods and services through Kampala office, including those items procured in Kampala (and internationally) for programme activities;
- Clear understanding and adherence at all times to ZOA Procurement Guidelines;
- Supporting procurement quality in ZOA programme locations including carrying out quality checks on processes and procedures (remotely and in person) and delivering training on ZOA procurement procedures to other ZOA logistics staff (online and in person), in coordination with Administrators and Programme Managers;
- Keep accurate and transparent records of all logistic or procurement transactions using ZOA Manager;
- Maintenance of suppliers database.
Driver support and vehicle/fleet management
- Supervision of driver(s) working out of Kampala;
- Assisting Kampala drivers and programme Administrators/logistics staff with ensuring vehicle maintenance is carried out according to schedule/required maintenance and repairs;
- Responsible for registration, insurance and maintenance of vehicles.
- Maintaining oversight of all ZOA Uganda internet subscriptions and ISPs, including tracking usage and setting limits as needed (in discussion with the MoO);
- Focal point for ZOA Uganda for IT support (in coordination with ZOA HQ as needed);
- Ensuring IT assets are maintained and kept in good working condition at all times;
- Carrying out IT training (at least at introductory level) for ZOA Uganda staff, including set up on One Drive, use of ZOA Manager, access to ZOA Quality Library and use of Outlook;
- Other IT support activities as requested by the MoO and possibly in liaison with consultants and other external providers.
Stores and asset management
- Organize storage of goods and assets at Kampala office, including IT equipment;
- Responsible for the functioning and safeguarding of all communication equipment(VHF/HF radios, Thurayas etc.);
- Responsible for the safeguarding of all ZOA assets and maintaining and updating assets register and submit quarterly assets list to MoO, including asset owner, chargeable project and any repairs or maintenance needs.
Transport and cargo
- Support (air)travel and transportation of staff and beneficiaries for project activities, coordinating with drivers and field offices;
- Organising transportation of materials to field offices.
Office health & safety and security
- Coordinate maintenance of Kampala office, guesthouse, and other assets, ensuring safety equipment is in place and well maintained;
- Support programme locations and sub bases with improving office accommodation according to health & safety and security standards, in coordination with Administrators and Programme Managers for field offices.
Characteristics of role
The Senior Logistics Officer will be based in Kampala. Some field visits to the project locations is anticipated. The post holder may be required to drive ZOA vehicles at times.
The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends.
Competencies – knowledge and experience
- Higher education diploma in relevant field;
- Minimum working experience of 3 years in logistics, preferably for an (I)NGO;
- Proven skills in logistics and procurement;
- Know-how of vehicle and office maintenance;
- Familiarity with IT and communication equipment;
- Good command of English;
- Valid Uganda driving licence;
- Desirable: experience in training and support to colleagues on logistics related functions;
- Desirable: experience in carrying out quality checks on procurement processes and procedures.
Competencies – behaviour
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/corporate-identity/ );
- Reliable person;
- Interpersonal skills – able to communicate well;
- Technical skills, e.g. IT, vehicle maintenance, building maintenance, asset management (at least one of these areas);
- Organised and self-managing, with good planning skills;
- Able to follow organisational policies and procedures, with a logical and consistent application of principles and concepts;
- Ability to work individually as well as in a team;
- Proactive and focussed;
- High level of integrity, understanding of issues relating to fraud and conflict of interest.