Operations Assistant – Gulu, Uganda – ICYD Activity
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
01 July 2022
Within Uganda , Gulu , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
• The Operations Assistant (Gulu) will be responsible for full logistical support for the Gulu Zonal Office. She or he will support activities related to logistics, procurement, and administration, including the provision and distribution of Teaching and Learning Materials (TLMs) and the effective and efficient management of trainings and workshops. Additionally, she or he will be the focal person for the management of assets, vehicle fleet, consumable supplies, and zonal office infrastructure maintenance and repair. The Operations Assistant will report to the Senior Zone Manager with dotted-line reporting to the HQ Office Logistics Manager for all logistics tasks and HQ Senior Procurement Manager for all procurement tasks.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
• Coordinates with Kampala headquarters and zonal office team in the efficient distribution and delivery of Teaching and Learning Materials (TLMs) and other inputs to schools and communities and other system recipients.
• Maintains record of office supplies utilization by creating and filling accurate stock cards for each item.
• Produces weekly office supplies utilization report.
• Provides logistics for training, including large scale trainings and workshops.
• Manages logistics arrangements for high level and routine project activities, including transport, hotel bookings, conference and workshop facilities, supplies.
• Ensures maintenance and repair of all zonal office infrastructure including the following:
• Electrical installations
• Plumbing and water installations, including water reservoirs and water pump
• Exterior compound; and building walls, floors, ceilings, roof, windows
• Establishes and updates list of preferred vendors: electricians, plumbers, carpenters, masons, mechanics, groundskeepers, and other craftspeople
• Supported by the Senior Zone Manager, supervises security guards, cleaners and any other personnel involved in the upkeep and security of zonal office infrastructure and assets.
• Supported by the Senior Zone Manager, establishes and implements systems and procedures for the management of:
? Drivers and vehicle schedules
? Vehicle rental
? Vehicle logbooks including fuel record
? Maintenance and repairs of vehicles
? Vehicle inspections
? Monthly vehicle usage reports
? Up to date vehicle registration and insurance
? Complete and up to date vehicle files at all times
? Security and safety of vehicles and passengers
Fixed assets and inventory management:
• Assures maintenance and repair of all fixed assets
• Ensures system is in place for tracking all fixed assets
• Organizes and oversees bi-annual physical inventory of all fixed assets
• Updates fixed assets database as and when changes take place
• Issues fixed assets reports on at least semi-annual basis or upon request
• Issues fixed assets to custodians, collect documentation of issuance, and submit documentation as required
• Maintains accurate stock cards for every item in stores
• Issues inventory such as Teaching and Learning Materials (TLM) against approved stock requisition forms
• Records all dispatches in stock card and issues accompanying waybills; follows up to ensure deliveries are made to the intended destination/beneficiary and proof provided
• Produces monthly stock reports and reports any discrepancies immediately to the Senior Zonal Manager
Procurement management within the approved threshold:
• Generates and places purchase orders and maintains required proof of delivery documentation for orders as necessary.
• Works with customers (such as technical teams), vendors, and administration/finance offices as needed to provide quality assurance on purchasing transactions.
• Maintains proper documentation to verify that all procurements comply with USAID and EDC rules and regulations.
• Reviews invoices from vendors and compares them to the terms of the purchase order or contract to ensure vendor invoices are accurate before submitting for payment.
• Works with suppliers to confirm receipt and status update of orders, investigates price/quantity discrepancies, coordinates the replacement, credit, and return of unsatisfactory deliveries; ensures completion of the procure-to-pay cycle; and escalates issues when needed.
• Supports the preparation of the zonal annual procurement plan with support from the Senior Zone Manager, finance, and technical staff.
• Coordinates the development of the local vendor list.
• Supports project budget revisions by providing estimated pricing for goods and services.
• Undertakes other associated tasks and duties as assigned by the supervisor.
• Ensures that the zonal office is well organized to increase efficiency and give the best ambience to staff.
• Prepares monthly updated contact list and organizational chart.
• Supports general administrative and clerical support including preparing letters and documents, receiving and sorting mail and deliveries, scheduling appointments.
• Maintains up to date tracking and filing system of relevant correspondence, incoming and outgoing.
• Manages the official notice board and display of official communications and promotional information in an attractive manner.
• Trains and monitors the Office Assistant to act as backup in the management of the stock of office supplies and ensures delivery to staff using the appropriate forms or documents.
• Manages the performance of the Office Assistant and ensures clean, good ambience of office environment.
• Other tasks and duties relevant to the position as assigned by the Supervisor.
The candidate for the position of Operations Assistant shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
• Secondary education required. A bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in a relevant field preferred.
• Minimum 2 to 3 years’ successful experience in a similar position.
• Excellent skills in MS Word and Excel.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to work with staff at all levels in the organization.
• Experience working with USAID and PEPFAR funded projects will be an advantage.
• Must be proactive, able to work independently and meet tight deadlines.
• Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure.
• Fluency in English is required.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply please click HERE