Job Title: Janitor
Grade: 1 (N)
Level: Associate/Office Technician**
Location: Kampala Uganda**
This position is primarily responsible for office maintenance.
This position reports directly to the Property Supervisor.
- Thoroughly cleans the RSC offices, bathrooms, kitchens and walkways as assigned.
- Observes the office environment, ensures that the fire exits are always kept clear and promptly reports any potentially hazardous situations such as slippery floors, loose electric wires or sockets.
- Ensures that all the office windows and various interior and exterior doors and grills are closed and securely locked at the end of every business day. (Note: the final responsibility for office locking rests with the management staff locking up on any particular day).
- Ensures that all photocopiers and printers have been checked for documents and switched off at the end of every business day. Any document found should be turned over to the management staff locking up on any particular day.
- Ensures that non-essential equipment is switched off and only the minimum equipment required is switched on.
- Reports any equipment that sounds or appears broken or in need of repair, including door and window locks that need lubrication, tightening or replacement, leaky water taps etc.
- Undertakes odd jobs such as minor repairs and window cleaning in coordination with the Senior Janitor.
- Monitors stock levels of supplies needed for cleaning and maintenance and submits timely requisitions for additional supplies.
- Ensures that all the bathrooms are well stocked with soap, hand towels, tissues papers, air fresheners, etc at all times.
- Assists in general office duties as assigned e.g. photocopying, shredding, packing and moving of files.
- Ensures that the indoor plants are watered and cleaned.
- Does routine daily purchases e.g. daily papers, milk and prepares tea/coffee for RSC visitors.
- Performs any other duties which are developed and assigned in order to improve the operations of RSC Africa.
High school diploma or equivalent qualification is required.
General office work experience preferred.
Knowledge/ Skills: None.
The Janitor must have the ability to:
• demonstrate work initiative by identifying work that needs to be completed;
• communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
• follow instructions from the Supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
• deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, applicants and members of the general public;
• conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP;
• maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
• carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
• take initiative;
• maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
• manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
• work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
• effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources;
• actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Government Operational Refugee Processing Program in Africa;
Physical requirements: This position requires bending, squatting, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/ pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying moderate loads.
Working environment : Incumbents in this position will work both indoors and outdoors.
Special Requirements: Certificate of Good Conduct issued within the last one year (12 months) is required before the start of employment.
The candidate should be willing to work overtime on weekdays and weekends as required.