Job Title: Driver
Grade: 2 (N)
Level: Office Technician
Location: Kampala Uganda
This position is primarily responsible for driving and maintaining CWS/RSC Africa vehicles to complete assigned errands on behalf of the organization.
This position reports directly to the Administration Supervisor.
- Drives CWS/RSC Africa motor vehicles to complete assigned duties.
- Cleans and cares for official CWS/RSC Africa vehicles. Conducts regular checks of vehicles to ensure that they are mechanically sound and in good working order and reports any problems noted to the Administration Supervisor.
- Provides safe transportation to meetings and other destinations for CWS/RSC Africa staff and visitors on official business.
- Posts and collects mail, weighs and affixes the correct amount of stamps on letters and packages.
- Assists in the safe banking of CWS/RSC Africa checks and cash as well as replenishment of petty cash.
- Maintains accurate records of deliveries made to other offices in the CWS/RSC Africa delivery book.
- Performs general clerical duties as may be assigned and which may include photocopying and packing supplies for field team travel.
- Facilitates the processing of work permits and alien registration certificates for expatriate staff and the processing of visas for CWS/RSC Africa staff proceeding on circuit rides and any other official travel.
- Repairs minor mechanical problems on the CWS/RSC Africa motor vehicles after confirming the same with the Administration Supervisor.
- Obtains quotations and makes simple purchases on behalf of the office and as per instructions by the Administration Supervisor.
- Records each and every trip made in the book.
- Ensures that the fuel level in each vehicle does not go below half tank.
- Performs other duties, which are developed and assigned in order to improve the operations of the CWS/RSC Africa office.
High school diploma or equivalent and two (2) years of work experience.
Two (2) years of driving experience required.
· Working knowledge of basic motor vehicle mechanics and required.
· Good working knowledge of Kampala and its vicinity.
The Driver must have the ability to:
• do minor repairs
• communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
• follow instructions from the Supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
• deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, applicants and members of the general public;
• conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP;
• maintain a high performance standard with attention to detail;
• carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
• take initiative;
• maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
• manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
• work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
• effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources;
• actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Government Operational Refugee Processing Program in Africa;
Physical requirements : This position requires bending, squatting, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/ pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying moderate loads.
Working environment : Incumbents in this position will be exposed to moving machinery, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust, fumes and gases and drives motorized equipment.
Licensing/Certification: Valid and clean driving license required
Special Requirements: Police Clearance Certificate issued within the last one year (12 months) is required before the start of employment.
Demonstrated integrity, accountability, and transparency in all previous employment.
The candidate should be willing to work overtime on weekdays and weekends as required