Jobs at:The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Deadline of this Job:
08 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a federal sub-region. GIZ-RELAPU received co-funding by the European Union for the enterprise and part of the German Development Cooperation. GIZ-RELAPU is a bilateral implementation of a project component on "Responsible Governance of Investments in project of the Republic of Uganda and the Federal Republic of Germany funded by the Land" (RGIL). German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The project is currently being implemented in Uganda, Ethiopia and Laos with an RELAPU aims to improve access to land as a key precondition for poverty and hunger objective to foster investments in land that are productive, contribute to sustainable land reduction in rural areas for certain population graups, especially for women and management, and respect the rights and needs of local populations, vulnerable groups marginalized groups, in Central and Northeastern Uganda". For Northeastern Uganda, the and women. In Northern Uganda, the project is currently operating in different districts in RELAPU project has been implemented in Teso since 2016 and the RELAPU office is leso and Lango region. located in Soroti. From 2022, the project is mainly implemented in Lango sub-region (Dokoto, Amolatar) but also continues some activities in different Districts of Teso GIZ is recruiting a driver to support the implementation of its programme.
Job Title: Driver RELAPU
Reports to: Head of Administration (RELAPU)
Job Location: Soroti, Uganda
Contract duration 01.11.2021 - 30.06.2024
Ref. No GIZ - RELAPU/D/072150
The Driver is responsible for:
A. Key Responsibilities
• Safe and responsible driving of office vehicles.
• Routine maintenance and care of office vehicles.
• Takes careful note of all available information concerning street conditions, effective routes and locations,
• Running of official errands and assisting with other office services.
The Driver performs the following tasks:
Driving and Chauffeuring
• Drive office vehicles safely and chauffeur GIZ employees, official visitors and guests to official destinations.
• Assists in the transport of goods. Maintenance of Cars
• Regularly cleans the inside and outside of the office vehicle
• Checks oil, water, brake and clutch fluids on a daily basis; tyre pressures, battery water, and overall vehicle condition on a monthly basis or after 5000 km whichever comes earlier; tests lights, brakes, bodywork for dents, etc.
• Reports the need for maintenance and undertakes minor repairs.
• Immediately reports any involvement of the project/office vehicle in any, even minor accidents, or any damage or theft of equipment from the vehicle.
• Logs in vehicle movement in vehicle logbook correctly & accurately on a daily basis, and registers each monthly check.
• Compiles driver reports on condition of vehicle.
• Uses all available information (incl. actual radio news on traffic situations) to update knowledge of street conditions, effective routes and locations daily.
• Exchanges this information with other drivers.
• Wears proper attire.
• Serves all passengers in a friendly manner.
• Runs errands for the GIZ Office e.g. delivery of letters/messages, payment of bills, and makes minor purchases as directed.
• Is responsible for official documents in vehicle.
• Is responsible for a special petty cash and submits vouchers for accounting on a monthly basis.
• Does not use, at any time, the car for his/her own private purposes. Such misuse of the vehicle is considered a serious misconduct, will immediately lead to a warning and may result in dismissal.
• Does not drink alcohol before and during working hours.
Other Duties/ Additional Tasks
• If there is no outside driving activity, s/he stands by in the office, supports other colleagues in case of need, and does other office work as assigned.
• Reports any incident whilst off duty that may affect his/her driving licence entitlement, as well as any newly known health problems that may affect his/her ability to drive.
• Undertakes further job training related to his/her position and duties, if required.
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Competences:
• Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education ("A" Level).
• Possesses a valid driver's license.
• Excellent English and Ateso language skills is a MUST. Additional knowledge of Luo/Langi would be an advantage.
• Should be disciplined and punctual.
• Has ability to tolerate stress and has high level patience.
Other knowledge/ Skills:
• At least 3 years of working experience as a driver, with references.
• Experience in driving in difficult terrain.
• No history of major accidents within the past 3 years.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: High School
Job application procedure
All Interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected] Applications and CVs should be in one Document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 8 August 2021. Please note. This is a national position, Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.