The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Humanitarian Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
ECHO is recruiting One National Staff to be based in Kampala as a Driver .**
1. Duties & Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Technical Assistant, the driver will be responsible for the following main tasks: –
· Provide reliable driving services using the vehicles, for the transport of authorized ECHO staff members, officials and visitors in accordance with the authorized routing following ECHO safety and security rules and regulations,
· Take care of the day-to-day efficient maintenance of the vehicles; ensure that the vehicle is kept clean at all times,
· Perform minor preventive repairs and make necessary arrangements for repairs and service and ensure that the vehicles are always kept in good running condition,
· Log official trips, daily mileage, fuel consumption reports, and servicing done,
· Collect and deliver mail, documents and other items and paying of office bills as required,
· Meet official personnel and visitors at the airport and transport them,
· Take the necessary steps required in accordance with the rules and regulations in case of an accident,
· Negotiate, liaise and coordinate with local authorities to facilitate vehicle movements in designated areas,
· Provide translation of basic information into English for the ECHO staff in the vehicle.
A detailed Terms of references (including competencies) are available at www.eeas.europa.eu/uganda
2. Required Qualifications
· Completion of Secondary School Education or Equivalent,
· Must have a valid drivers license.
3. Required Skills
· Minimum 5 years of relevant experience driving 4wheel drives, with a clean driving record,
· Professional driving training qualification is an advantage,
· Excellent knowledge of the road systems of Kampala and Entebbe, knowledge of other town is an advantage,
· Basic knowledge of protocol rules and procedures,
- Good communication skills and good spoken English,
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment,
- Knowledge of communication equipment such as HF/VHF radio, GPS is an advantage,
· Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repairs,
· Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage,
· Basic computer literacy in Outlook (e-mail use,) MS Word, Excel is an advantage.
· Ability to identify user’s needs with a high sense of discretion and confidentiality,
· Ability and flexibility to be able to travel throughout the region.
How to apply
Applications including a cover letter, a detailed CV, a copy of education certificate and valid driver’s license and a copy of relevant employment certificates should be sent to http://uhired.me/job/424 until 25/06/2021 . The vacancy reference “REF: Driver-EBB” must be clearly indicated in the subject line. This position is open to nationals and other residents of Uganda with a valid work and residence permits. DG ECHO applies a policy of equal opportunities. Our recruitment policy is based on respect for diversity, maintaining the gender balance, as well as the balance between professional and private life, and support for training and developments opportunities.
For information, the employment conditions that could be proposed includes an initial contract of one year with the possibility of renewal subject to a 3 months’ probationary period and after positive annual evaluation. As an indication, the monthly basic salary is approximately UGX 2,461,212 (subject to local tax law) which corresponds to 5 years relevant work experience (minimum step 6). The salary will be adapted according to the exact duration of relevant professional experience supported by a work certificate. In addition to this, the employee will also receive disability/retirement allowance, 13 th month salary as well as a medical coverage. ECHO employees observe the National Staff code of Conduct which is available on the link: