Jobs at:Oxfam Novib
Deadline of this Job:
17 August 2022
Within Uganda , Mbale , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 29, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Consortium Manager – MT. ELGON DRM PROJECT, Mbale
Internal Job Grade: National C2
Contract type: Fixed Term – 1 Year
Reporting to: Humanitarian Program Manager (HPM).
Staff reporting to this post Logistics & Admin Assistant, Finance Officer, Driver
Key relationships/Interactions Maintains a close working relationship with the Head of Programs, PQL Coordinator, DRM Coordinator, other Theme Leads; and partner organisations’ project managers
Departmental Purpose: Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
To work with others to find lasting solutions to overcome poverty and injustice
Under the direct supervision of the HPM, the Consortium Manager will serve as the consortium focal point, being responsible for ensuring the proper functioning and technical coordination of the DRM Project Consortium for Mt. Elgon Region under the ECHO HIP 2022 contract. S/he will maintain regular contact with all consortium partners; providing strategic guidance to consortium members, overseeing budget management and ensuring quality, timely and impactful program implementation as well as M&E processes. S/he will strengthen DRM processes and coordination mechanisms in the implementation area through proper management of relationships with project partners and external stakeholders including government authorities and other humanitarian working groups.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
1. Management Oversight
Grant Operations management:
Working closely with the Grants and Contracts Coordinator and other finance teams at Oxfam Country Office, the Consortium Manager will
• Ensure the proper partner understanding, archiving, follow up and internal communication about the signed ECHO grant contract and their amendments.
• Oversee the compliance of the Consortium members with Oxfam’s and donor requirements; providing guidance to the Consortium partners to establish a common understanding and way of working according to the donors’ rules and regulations
• Be highly reactive in spotting potential discrepancies calling for revision / realignment of the project documents and orientations and coordinate with partners and Oxfam Country Office on engaging the donor (ECHO) on any agenda for contract modification processes
• Direct budget monitoring, reviewing the budget pipelines on monthly basis and support the partners in forecasting the expenditure for effective delivery of project components and ensuring the budget is fully spent.
• Support the HPM and Partner Project Coordinators in the follow-up of program’s activities and contract implementation, and support teams in tracking, collection and compilation of information relevant to program operational progress.
• Coordinate with logistics and finance departments at the country office to ensure the support required for the three partners.
• Continuously monitor the humanitarian context in the implementation area and lead and coordinate all DRM project consortium members in the development of concept notes/proposals and other documents relevant to the implementation scale-up of the joint project.
• Ensure the timely and qualitative production of all communication materials, internal and external reports, concept note, and proposals package including annexes.
• Working closely with the MEAL Coordinator, provide oversight on MEAL activities of partners, ensuring comprehensive monitoring of performance against the MEAL indicators and the production of comprehensive documents and reports for internal and external sharing
• Develop and update SOPs for program development and reporting in coordination with the Humanitarian Program Manager and relevant Technical Coordinators.
• Oversee the development and submission of all operational updates concerning the project, including submission of interim and final reports to the HPM in accordance with the donor schedule, ensuring that deadlines are met.
• Coordinate and act as the focal point for the design and implementation of a communication strategy, including definition of targets and expected outcome as well as the development of quality communication channels and products, internal communication within the Consortium and external communication (as approved by the Country Director).
• Provide support to the partner coordinators in building the writing, reporting and analysis capacities of the partner technical staff.
• Organise and lead partner review meetings in collaboration with other departments such as Programs, Finance, supply chain, grants, partnerships etc.
• Performance management of Oxfam staff in the coordination office and ensuring compliance with Oxfam policies and procedures (safeguarding, code-of conduct, success factors among others)
1. Technical Leadership
o Work closely with partners(OXFAM, DRC and Concern Worldwide) workplans and procurement plans.
• Provide strategic and managerial direction and guidance to DRM activities implemented by Oxfam and partners in the Mt Elgon region to ensure that delivery is effective and in line with the project’s expected outcomes.
• Organize periodic meetings to discuss project progress; reviewing the project outputs, work plan and activities versus the objectives as set forth in the programme documents, record and follow up on the execution of agreed action points.
• Oversee key project planning deliverables using results-based management approaches and tools and ensure adequate follow up and monitoring of national and local-level activities and the achievement of high quality, effective outcomes under all areas of work
• Undertake regular field visits to monitor the Programme’s activities and ensure compliance with project objectives and that activities are on track and to provide technical guidance to the team to adapt the programme when necessary to ensure achievement of project goals.
• Identify and address in a timely manner challenges and constraints that might delay or hinder the implementation of the programme and identify corrective action(s) to increase overall project effectiveness and efficiency.
• Ensure all partners update and share project tools (work, procurement, staffing, spending and MEAL plans) on a quarterly basis and reviewing the project outputs, work plan and activities versus the objectives as set forth in the programme documents.
• Define processes and workplans for the implementation of community-based and community-led engagement and hazard mitigation activities. This includes overseeing the process to select locations to be targeted with different activities, as well as the selection of activities to be implemented, in collaboration with communities, project staff, institutional partners and donors.
• Provide leadership in generating and documenting evidence of proven models, best practices and emerging and innovative practices
• Prepare ToR for all consultancies related to the provision of service to the implementation of the project’s components and liaise with logistics on the selection processes for such services providers
• With the support of the Technical Coordinators, the HPM and HOP, develop specific strategies for cross-cutting themes (gender equality, protection, environmental sustainability) for the project.
• Based on regular context monitoring, Lead on the area emergency response planning and implementation, and ensure appropriate contingency plans and related preparedness and mitigation strategies are in place and updated, to ensure Oxfam’s humanitarian mandate is met
1. Coordination, Influencing and Representation
• Coordinate with local authorities to facilitate the participation of local communities in the planning and implementation of activities and undertake periodic reviews of project activities to assess effectiveness, efficiency, achievement of results and compliance with procedures
• Represent Oxfam externally in relevant UN/(I)NGO or government fora; develop alliances with organisations and other relevant stakeholders working on humanitarian and early recovery programming, with a view to enhancing coordination, and adopting complementary approaches including active participation in relevant coordination and planning mechanisms, and supporting Oxfam and partners in field-level coordination and attending sector working groups;
• In collaboration with Research and Policy lead, support advocacy and influencing work, and provide advice so that the work is based on sound programmatic evidence;
• Support advocacy and campaigning on the Disaster Risk Management issues, including analysis, surveys, assessments and support to the development of policy products as required. This includes ensuring linkages to relevant Global Campaigns.
• Work with the media team to ensure that content is created and communications work is shared within Oxfam and more broadly
• In collaboration with other Programme Managers and coordinators, work to ensure that influencing is integrated in the design and implementation of programmes and are working towards achieving same aims and leveraging impact in line with Oxfam’s country strategy
• Provide technical support to field teams on identification /establishment of coordination mechanisms for Oxfam’s DRM activities to strengthen the Consortium’s role as a DRM player at local levels
• Eager and required to adhere to Oxfam’s principles and values as well as the promotion of gender justice and women’s rights
• Understanding of and commitment to adhere to equity, diversity, gender, child safety and staff health and wellbeing principles.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Education: A Master’s degree in project management, political sciences, international development, humanitarian studies, public administration, social science or any other relevant areas, or an equivalent professional experience.
• Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role and/or areas of program development, project management, donor reporting or grant compliance for an international NGO. Also experience in creating communication products (articles, success stories, etc). A past work experience and/or knowledge of ECHO/EU compliance requirements. Previous experience with Oxfam would be a an added advantage.
• Skills : Strong writing skills, paying attention to details and to the quality of produced materials, and have strong planning and anticipation skills. Master of basic software tools, database management software, and statistical packages.
Key Attributes/Qualities :
• A proven capacity for analysing and synthetizing comprehensive information and technical data, and an ability to write and edit reports under deadline pressure.
• Ability to guarantee effective and timely outputs, and have strong presentation and communication skills for public presentations and communication materials.
• Ability to work on your own initiative and collaboratively as part of a diverse team, and manage a varied workload.
• Self-motivated, flexible and adaptable to the needs of the team and organization.
• A proven management ability and inter-personal skills, and a strong commitment to support and develop the capacity of the staff.
• Ability to manage conflicting priorities in personal workload, and have problem solving and leadership skills.
• A strong command of English in writing and editing documents. Knowledge of Kiswahili and other languages is a definite asset.
o Accountability – Our purpose-driven, results-focused approach means we take responsibility for our actions and hold ourselves accountable. We believe that others should also be held accountable for their actions.
o Empowerment – Our approach means that everyone involved with Oxfam, from our staff and supporters to people living in poverty, should feel they can make change happen.
o Inclusiveness – We are open to everyone and embrace diversity. We believe everyone has a contribution to make, regardless of visible and invisible differences.
Key Behavioral Competencies for this role (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
Decisiveness We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
Influencing We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
Humility We put ‘we’ before ‘me’ and place an emphasis on the power of the collective, nurture the team and play to the strengths of each individual. We are not concerned with hierarchical power, and we engage with, trust and value the knowledge and expertise of others across all levels of the organization.
Relationship Building We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.
Mutual Accountability We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
Strategic Thinking and Judgment We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested and Qualified? Click here to Apply Now