For nearly 50 years, AKF has been partnering with communities, governments, and local leaders to harness the best from people from all backgrounds to improve the quality of life. The Foundation’s work is rooted in core values of self-reliance, pluralism, and respect for human dignity. AKF is a member of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), one of the world’s leading poverty solutions networks. The AKDN’s integrated approach makes long-term investments, builds permanent institutions, and cultivates an active civil society, impacting tens of millions of people annually in 30 countries. Alongside its sister AKDN agencies, the AKF implements innovative, community-driven solutions that are based on decades of experience, learning and evaluation.
The ITH programme will be implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation in partnership with In their Hands Company (ITH CO), and Triggerise LTD who will together provide comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services to adolescent girls (15-19) in Kampala and Arua, through immersive engagement with girls and their communities as well as through a user-centric digital platform (ITH platform for a period of 12 months. AKF seeks a highly motivated and dynamic communications officer who will be based in Kampala, that will work with a team for a period of 11 months starting May 2021 and ending March 2022 , to plan, develop and implement a communication strategy and ensure effective information sharing between partners as well as external and internal project stakeholders , document success stories , curate and manage knowledge products , as well as identify opportunities for publicity of the ITH programme.The communications officer will play a critical role in coordinating all stakeholders around communication activities and providing significant day to day support to ensure that agreed targets and deliverables are met including proper reporting, documentation, stakeholder engagement and compliance. The Communications Officer reports to the Project Manager.
- Lead in project communications for awareness and influence by ensuring that relevant project communications materials such as brochures, learning briefs, success and human-interest stories, factsheets, and info graphics are developed and disseminated on time to the target audiences through relevant channels.
- Develop and maintain relationships with media outlets (print, electronic and web-based), including drafting press releases and organising media events, in Uganda to increase coverage of educational and youth empowerment issues.
- Coordinate and monitor internal communications via a quarterly newsletter and yearly internal communications audits.
- Develop content on the ITH programme for AKF East Africa (EA)’s platforms including the intranet, social media, and website.
- Contribute to the finalisation and production of high-quality material, donor reports, media supplements, documentaries, audio clips, pictures, and other audio-visual communication materials.
- Develop and implement in a timely manner a work plan for all communication related activities.
- Identify and tailor messaging around areas of project impact that would enhance project visibility, reputation, and reach.
- Anticipate and incorporate community information needs in relation to the ITH programme, including modalities and preferred language.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Minimum Bachelors’ degree or equivalent in communications, journalism, public relations, or any other relevant field is required.
- Minimum 3-4 years’ experience in producing a wide range of strategic communications materials with a reputable international NGO or in the corporate sector.
- Exceptional English communications skills with the ability to produce high-quality reports, publications, presentations, documentaries, and other communications materials.
- Experience in mentoring and training staff in communications.
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher). Candidates with basic design and layout skills and adept in using Adobe Photoshop and PageMaker will have an added advantage.
- Desirable: Experience carrying out surveys, focus groups, and market research.
How to apply
Candidates interested in this exciting career opportunity with AKF should submit a cover letter and maximum three-page CV including the names and contact information of three professional referees by 4:30pm on 19 th April 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted .
Click on the following link to apply www.akdn.org/careers
“AKF Is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.”