Deadline of this Job:
29 May 2022
Within Uganda , Gulu , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, May 13, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Programme “Natural Resources Stewardship” is implemented by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the European Union (EU).
The NatuReS programme is supporting partner institutions from the public and private sector as well as civil society to strengthen collective action for water secure and pollution free urban areas in Greater Kampala Metropolitan Area and Gulu City Council. The aim of the collective action is to safeguard natural resources while fostering inclusive growth and prosperity.
Number of vacancies: 1 Sector: Civil society Industry: Administration , ,NGO
Ref No. GIZ-NatuRes/AO/0522027
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Extensive knowledge of PuR.
• Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, internet) and computer applications (MS Office).
• Experience with accounting software WINPACCS
• Fluency of written and spoken English
• Strong organisational and analytical skills and ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision.
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed.
• High degree of self-motivation and team spirit in a multi - cultural and interdisciplinary team.
The administrative professional is responsible for
• Leading on all administrative services within NatuReS Gulu office
• Providing administrative services for the programme in close collaboration with the Finance Manager and Country Coordinator in Kampala
• Ensuring that financial and administrative regulations and standard procedures are complied with
• Meeting the administrative needs of the programme components independently, with a minimum of intervention/supervision
• Liaising with the project team in Gulu, Kampala and the Country Office on administrative issues in a service-oriented manner as needed
• Ensuring that administrative information is exchanged between programme staff, partners and other institutions
• Seeking and following technical instructions from the Finance Manager
• Ensuring that his/her tasks are carried out efficiently and with the required confidentiality within the assigned area of responsibility
• Organising office activities like liaising with the Kampala office:
(i) To send updated staff contacts,
(ii) Proper dispatch of documents.
The Administration Officer will be expected to perform the following tasks:
Administration and Office Management
• Preparing, organising internal meetings and drafting minutes. Organising administrative and logistical aspects of project activities (meetings, workshops, travel arrangements etc.).
• Ensuring that computers, software, printers and communication equipment function properly in Coordination with the IT of the Country Office.
• Filing documents in reference files or in DMS in line with GIZ’s filing rules and support in reporting.
• Supervising the drivers, gardener and cleaner.
• Ensuring that the tenancy agreement is kept up to date.
• Managing office utilities i.e. water, electricity etc.
• Supporting all staff on administrative related issues.
• Leave management by monitoring project staff leave plans and ensuring proper documentation.
• Monthly calculating of generator fuel consumption.
• Manages confidential files, specifically in the areas of personnel and finance
• Is responsible for local procurement up to the thresholds according to the actual delegation, including quotations according to GIZ guidelines.
• Keeping a database on suppliers and conducting regular search for alternatives.
• Receiving and checking delivered materials.
• Monitoring the availability of accessories and stocks and carrying out procurement in accordance with the GIZ guidelines.
• Compiling information on products, services and prices on small goods vendors, catering companies, car rental companies for entry in a suppliers’ database.
• Supporting the preparation of contract documents for administrative aspects and terms and conditions in coordination with technical staff.
• Perform a quality and compliance check of the contract documents before submitting them to the Country Office.
• Follow-up of the timely contract preparation with the Country Office and the timely reply to any questions
Finance and Accounting
• Handling petty cash, cash withdrawals, monthly cash counts, keeping the cashbook, bank accounts reconciliations, preparing and entering vouchers into GIZ accounting system.
• Ensuring that vouchers and receipts are complete as per GIZ financial requirements.
• Assisting in the internal/ external controls and audits.
• Preparation of budgets for workshops, trainings etc.
• Checking and calculating travel claims of staff and submit them for approval by the superior.
• Checking invoice, delivery receipts and other papers and sign them/submit them for payment.
• Ensuring that standard booking texts with clear descriptions are used and aligned with the Country Office.
• Ensuring a separate booking stamp is used per Co-Financing for the respective vouchers.
• Preparing monthly forecast and checks requests for funds before release
• Ensuring the payments of invoices in timely manner.
• Ensuring the deduction and payment of relevant taxes where applicable.
• Helping monitor expenses in accordance with the budget.
Stores/Inventory / Asset Management
• Maintaining a system of complete and correct stock recording of office equipment value assets using onSITE Asset software and tagging of inventoried assets as required by processes and rules.
• Compiling and updating at least monthly all supporting documentation and invoices in systematically organised files for all onSITE Asset entries.
• Maintaining updated stock cards for all consumable items in store.
• Physical verification of inventory items at least once per year for consistency with the information in onSITE Asset, file written signed reports and update the inventory if required.
• Proper disposal of obsolete or broken equipment as per PuR.
• Ensuring that separate code and separate stickers for the inventory items purchased by the respective co-financing will be used (EU).
• Ensuring timely provision of supplies to enable smooth operation at the office.
• Maintaining sound stores and inventory management systems for proper usage and tracking of records of usable resources.
• Vehicle fleet management i.e. monitoring of logbooks, vehicle maintenance & repairs etc.
• Ensuring that vehicle logbooks are filled out in line with rules and regulations.
• Ensuring that separate logbooks are maintained per Co-Financing (EU).
• Monthly calculating and monitoring of fuel consumption for project vehicles (EU).
• Maintaining files related to maintenance of the project vehicles.
• Supporting drivers in planning logistical movements.
• Following up on timely and accurate submission of accountability documents by partners.
• Supporting and coordinating communication with the partners regarding the Financial Agreement.
• Ensure the completion of time sheets by all staff working not 100% for the action.
Other duties/additional tasks
• Carries out other tasks at the request of the superior.
• Actively participating in the administrator’s meetings (CO) and ensure the communication and implementation of any relevant information or process as per the protocol.
• Immediately reporting problems concerning his/her area of responsibility.
• Deputize the Administration officer in the field office(s).
• University degree in relevant specialization and qualification in business administration (equivalent of BA or MBA).
Details of experience
• At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position.
• Working experience for GIZ, donor agencies, non-governmental organizations or other international organizations.
• Experience with administration of Co-Financing arrangements.
• Experience in procurement, accounting and staff supervision (e.g. drivers)
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected] . Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00 pm on the 29th May 2022. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application deadline: 2022-05-29