Job Title: – YCI Jobs 2021 Internship Opportunities (Gender Equality & Entrepreneurship Fellow)
Organization: Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Volunteer Placement Duration: May 24 – Sept 24, 2021
Time Commitment: 37.5 hours/week
Daily Stipend: A stipend will be received by National Fellows to help cover the costs incurred to participate in the program.
Youth Challenge International (YCI) Profile:
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is a leading global youth development organization that promotes youth innovation to drive positive change. Together with our partners we create market ready solutions that catapult youth around the world to succeed and prosper; we are driven by youth and their potential to affect positive change in the world. Our solutions are focused – always keeping the young people we are designing for and with at the center of the conversation. Our approach is rooted in creativity and constantly evolving to respond to changing needs and market realities. YCI is an organization where diversity and talent come together to shape a better future for youth around the world.
Join the HerStart Innovate the Future team to further enhance the inclusivity of the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Tanzania, Uganda and Ghana. Support YCI and local partners in identifying barriers for women, designing gender responsive solutions and amplifying women’s strengths in each context. This is an opportunity to apply your knowledge and passion for gender equality in a new and innovative way, while also strengthening your CV with practical training, mentorship and project coordination experience. In the process, learn more about women’s empowerment, climate action and social entrepreneurship – pivotal frameworks that are shaping the future of work and social impact globally.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Actively engage in and complete training modules on diverse topics including social entrepreneurship, climate action and gender equality
- Conduct primary and secondary research on gender equality topics
- Support the Partnership Sustainability Planning (PSP), gender strategy implementation and action planning processes for country teams and partners
- Design and deliver needs-based trainings and resources related to gender equality and entrepreneurship for partners, staff and fellows
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to research, develop and test innovative gender-responsive solutions
- Ensure training programs meet the needs of youth and integrate a gender lens
- Identify viable opportunities in the local economies for social ventures
- Mentor participants and create additional learning opportunities for youth who are seeking support outside of the HerStart training sessions
- Help build the HerStart Toolkit with high quality resources and opportunities
- Collaboratewith staff, partners and fellows in each country to coordinate program logistics and engage in the HerStart Community of Practice
- Prior knowledge and experience in gender-focused programs
- Experience in facilitating trainings and developing educational resources
- Passion for learning, facilitation and supporting the knowledge and skill development of others
- Tech-savvy with knowledge of diverse platforms and interest in learning new ones (including Slack, Airtable and Mighty Networks)
- Strong organization, teamwork and organization skills
- Ability to be proactive, flexible and take initiative
- Ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes openness to differing opinions and views
- Must be currently living in Kampala and able to commute to the YCI office
- Ability to commit to full 4-month placement
- Professional level English skills (written and verbal)
- Currently enrolled in or graduated from a relevant post-secondary degree or diploma, or have the equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated interest in the fields of international cooperation, gender equality and/or social entrepreneurship
- Flexibility in schedule (able to attend trainings and meetings, sometimes coordinated across different time zones)
- Proficiency in standard software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
Note: Individuals of all demographic, academic and professional backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to apply, particularly women.
Benefits of a National Fellowship
- Contribute to women’s economic empowerment: Connect and collaborate with young women, communities and global partners to help grow the social entrepreneurship ecosystem in Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda.
- Amplify your personal and professional growth: Whether you’re a recent grad, mid-career or experienced professional, you’ll receive unique opportunities to boost your CV and build transferable skills, such as cross-cultural communication, project management, research and more.
- Access high quality training and resources: You’ll receive specialized training and resources from our global partners who are subject matter experts in their fields, including gender equality, social enterprise, monitoring and evaluation and climate action.
- Be part of an international network: You’ll connect with like-minded, passionate staff partner organizations and youth around the globe. Joining this network will include first access to future YCI opportunities.
- Receive a Daily Stipend: A stipend will be received by National Fellows to help cover the costs incurred to participate in the program.
How To Apply for YCI Jobs 2021
All candidates should apply online at the link below to submit your CV (single PDF, maximum 2 pages) and a creative or writing sample.
Deadline: Open until filled
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise .