Job Title: Content Campaign Organizing Fellow – Wikimedia Foundation Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: Wikimedia Foundation
Duty Station: Remote
Wikimedia Foundation Profile
The Wikimedia Foundation’s Education team works with the education sector and a global community of volunteers to ensure that free knowledge projects like Wikipedia make a meaningful impact on global education goals. We are building a world where knowledge is available and equitable for everyone, and people have the skills and information they need to thrive in the digital age.
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for two Content Campaign Organizing Fellows to join our team, reporting to the Senior Program Strategist. As the Content Campaign Organizing Fellow, you will be responsible to coordinate multidisciplinary capacities across the organization to increase the impact and skills of existing campaign organizers, and support WMF strategic initiatives that involve content campaigns. Our aspiration is that any organizer focused on a knowledge gap can nimbly invite interested audiences to effectively contribute content through online and offline activities. We work on this through a combination of hands-on experimental projects, like #1lib1ref and #WikiForHumanRights, advising existing community initiatives and championing software solutions for key organizing problems.
Through a mix of organizing, special projects, and learning opportunities, organizing fellow positions are designed for organizers in the Wikimedia movement to develop additional professional skills and experience that can be applied to both existing organizing opportunities in the Wikimedia movement (such as Wikipedian in Residence positions) and external community organizing spaces.
Roles and Responsibilities:
During 2021-22, our fellows will support two focus areas:
- Human Rights and Sustainability organizing: Support for developing better event practices for partner organizations running events on human rights and sustainability topics as part of our ongoing #WikiForHumanRights partnership with UN Human Rights and other partnerships focused on environmental and sustainability audiences.
- Campaign Tools practices — partner with campaign organizers throughout the movement to document, integrate and facilitate adoption of new tools being used in organizing. This fellow will focus on investigations of existing tools (such as Central Notice) and documentation and championship of campaign tools developed by a new Campaign Product team at the Wikimedia Foundation.
Part time: 32 hours per week, starting October 2021 and ending June 30, 2022. These roles are designed so that organizers can maintain some existing external organizing, educational, personal or professional commitments.
You are responsible for:
- Listening to community leaders working on campaign activities and synthesis their experiences into compelling and useful documentation and communication materials
- Writing documentation important to adoption of best practices as part of campaign activities
- Helping implement and monitor participation in editing activities
- Connecting interested organizers and partners with resources, documentation, partnerships or advisory support for implementing locally relevant activities as part of meta campaigns, such as #WikiForHumanRights.
- Supporting evaluation of campaigns for both impact, and capacity development among local communities.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience successfully organizing online activities in Wikimedia communities
- Knowledge about effective tactics for organizing content drives, editathons or other campaign tactics in the Wikimedia movement.
- Experience communicating in English to the international Wikimedia community and publishing it in Wikimedia community channels, such as Wikimedia mailing lists, Meta Wiki, Telegram or Facebook.
- Experience evaluating the impact of content-focused activities in the Wikimedia movement through organizing tools like the Programs and Events Dashboard, Fountain or Hashtags tool.
Qualities that are important to us:
- A passion for and belief in free and open knowledge, and a willingness to get involved in the complex, decentralized process of creating it.
- Sensitivity to working with multicultural and multilingual audiences on complicated topics
- For the Campaign Tools fellow, we are looking for someone with comfort engaging with new technologies, evaluating their potential applications and mentoring others in using technologies for organizer needs.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience professionally communicating in languages other than English
- A network of collaborators in the Wikimedia movement from Global South communities — for #WikiForHumanRights we prefer candidates with experience collaborating with organizers in the Middle East and North Africa or Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience championing the adoption of software or technology to a community of practitioners.
- Experience doing outreach with audiences beyond the existing community in the Wikimedia movement (for ex. Education, GLAM or Library outreach)
- Knowledge or experience working with topics such as human rights or broader international topics for impact, i.e. the Sustainable Development Goals.
How To Apply for Wikimedia Foundation Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates can submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: Open until filled
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.