Technical Advisor- Private Sector and SME Development (RISE)
Deadline of this Job:
20 June 2021
Within Uganda , Arua , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The European Union (EU) and the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) have commissioned the Gesellschaft ?ir Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) with the programme “Response to increased Demand on Government Service and Creation of Economic Opportunities in Uganda (RlSE)". The main objective of the programme is the improvement of the inclusive socioeconomic development of refugees and the host population within the six districts of Northern Uganda, namely Arua. Madi Okollo, Obongi, Terego, Adjumani and Moyo, which are amongst the districts with the highest percentage of refugees. The programme combines the support to the district local government structures, efforts to create income and employment and the support for agricultural activities. The programme has two Special Objectives, whereas this position is set under Special Objective 2 “Increase economic self-reliance of refugees and host populations".
GIZ is recruiting a Technical Advisor to support the implementation of their activities.
We encourage women, people with disabilities and 2. Networking and cooperation Professional experience
Job title: Technical Advisor- Private Sector and SME Development (RISE)
Reports to: Head of Component
Job location: Arua
We encourage women, people with disabilities arid minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity oi perspective at the working place.
The Technical Advisor will be in charge of:
• Managing an area of responsibility that forms pan of the programme objectives, team agreements and/or agreements with the superior.
• Assisting programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups.
• Cooperating closely with government offices at district level, development and humanitarian partners, private sector, and community-based organizations.
• Exchanging knowledge and learnings with other stakeholders in the sector (e.g, by participating in technical working groups) and draw on existing evidence to improve the quality of the project activities.
• Supporting management of MSME development activities with the aim to generate employment and supporting implementation of entrepreneurship support measures.
The Technical Adviser performs the following tasks:
Coordination and monitoring tasks
• Assists and monitors the development implementation of project plans and activities in close consultation with counterparts.
• Conceptualizes, plans, implements workshops and} other events on issues connected with the project result areas.
• Assists strategic project management, including project planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and documentation.
Networking and cooperation
• Exchanges knowledge and learnings with other stakeholders in the sector (e.g. by participating in technical working groups). Draws on existing evidence to improve the quality of the project activities. i
• Conducts necessary assessments in collaboration 1 with relevant private and public stakeholders. This i includes impact assessments on local economies and surveys.
• Supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, refugees and host communities. nongovernmental agencies and individuals in the project area to improve and maintain good working relationships
• Supports with investment opportunities identi?cation in the priority value chains and market linkages of the Project region
• Ensures information management and knowledge transfer of project programme information.
• Prepares appropriate input for various project/ programme reports including annual reports and contributes to other reports required by the programme manager, the EU and GIZ Head Of?ce.
Other Duties/ Additional Tasks
• Preforms other duties and tasks at the request of management.
Master's degree in economics, ?nance, community Development, trade, business studies, law, or related ?eld.
• At least 6 years of demonstrated experience working on programmes in private sector development, business environment reform, investment promotion. s Solid understanding of the Ugandan labour market and its dynamics.
• Understanding of, and practical experience in business capacity development of SMEs 8t entrepreneurs.
• Knowledge of the recent trends for private sector and value chain development and investment creation among domestic and intemational actors in Uganda.
• Experience in working tor donor agencies, non
• governmental organizations, or other international organizations is an advantage.
• Familiar with the dynamics in refugee operation and the Comprehensive Refugee Response (CRRF) in Uganda.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills and ability to work well under pressure. with minimal supervision and in remote areas.
• Good working knowledge of ITC technologies ( related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g MS Office).
• Fluent English, Local languages in the region of operation is an asset.
• High degree of self motivation and proven ability to work independently Ability to multitask and work collaboratively in multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
• A non-judgmental, open minded positive attitude; Creative thinking and problem-solving ability.
• Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed — corresponding measures are agreed with management.
• Willingness to travel regularly
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 72
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected] . Cover letters and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 20th June 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.