Skills Development and Employment Expert
Deadline of this Job:
02 May 2021
Within Uganda , Arua , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, April 16, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The European Union Emergency Trust Fund (EUTF) and the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) have commissioned the Gesellschaft fiir Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) with the programme “Supporting Refugees and Host Communities in Northern Uganda". The main objective of the programme is the improvement of the inclusive socio-economic development of refugees and the host population within the six districts of Northern Uganda, namely Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi, Terego, Adiumani and Moyo, which are amongst the districts with the highest percentage of refugees.
The programme combines the support to the district local government structures, efforts to create income and employment and the support for agricultural activities. The programme has two Special Objectives. whereas this position is set under Special Objective 2 “Increase economic self-reliance of refugees and host populations". GIZ looking for a Skill Development and Employment Expert to support in the implementation of its programme. A summary of the job specifications and requirements is given below. The full job description can be found on www.futureoptions.org
Job Title: Skills Development and Employment Expert
Reports to: Deputy Head of Programme
Contract duration: Until September 2022 with possible extension
Ref. No: GIZ-RISE/SD&EE/04215
We encourage women, people with disabilities and minority groups to apply for this position. GIZ is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective at the working place. .
Skills Development and Employment Expert will be in charge of:
• Managing an area of responsibility that forms part of the programme objectives, team agreements and/or agreements with the line manager
• Implementing daily operational aspects of all issues related to the skills development and job linkages
• Cooperating closely with government offices at district level, development and humanitarian partners, private sector, educational institutions and community-based organizations
• Assisting project/programme initiatives to provide professional advisory services to and cooperate with a broad range of target groups
• Exchange knowledge and learnings with other stakeholders in the sector (e.g. by participating in technical working groups) and draw on existing evidence to improve the quality of the project activities.
The expert performs the following tasks:
Coordination and monitoring tasks
• Monitors and offers technical advise to all the actions around the grant implemented by GIZ cooperation partners.
• Conceptualizes, plans and implements workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project area of activity.
• Develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes. improvements and initiatives.
• Complies the relevant information for joint activities and assignments.
• Support M&E of project activities, outputs and outcomes as well impact evaluation
• Supports conceptualizing and managing of skills training, analysis of training institutes and curricular offered.
Networking and cooperation
• Exchange knowledge and learnings with other stakeholders in the sector to improve the quality cl the project activities.
• Supports cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, refugees, host communities and other stake holders, to improve and maintain good working relationships.
• Ensures knowledge transfer to project/programme information.
• Develops ready-to—use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
• Draws up reports and presentation documents.
• Prepares appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports and contributes to other reports required by the programme manager, the EU and GIZ Head Office.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
• Master’s degree in economics, education, management, development studies or a comparable field of studies
• At least 8 years of relevant professional working experience. A minimum of 6 years of demonstrated experience in (youth) skills development, including coordinating internships and apprenticeships and youth entrepreneurship promotion.
• At least three years working experience on supporting vocational training with experience on curriculum and training approach development, practical work exposure for students and linkages to the private sector.
• Familiar with refugee response and the Requirements for a Comprehensive Refugee Response (GRRF) in Uganda.
Other knowledge, additional competences
• Good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email. the internal) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office).
• Fluent English, Madi and/or Lugbara language skills are a very strong asset.
• Experience working with refugees in the project region will be an added advantage
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected] . Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line.
Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 2nd May 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.