Shelter and Infrastructure Assistant-Engineering
Jobs at:Danish Refugee Council
Deadline of this Job:
06 August 2021
Within Uganda , Agago , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Shelter and Infrastructure Assistant-Engineering
Reporting to: Team Leader-Shelter and Infrastructure
Overall Purpose of the Role:
Provides technical support within Shelter and Infrastructure and Water Resources Management area, and assist in planning, implementation and follow up of sector activities
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Set up, plan, supervise and monitor the implementation of the infrastructure activities.
• Participate in the planning process and in the validation of Parish Development Plans (PDPs).
• Supervise and monitor the work of masons, participating communities and contractors
• Support baseline data collection and implementation of the technical and economic/impact assessment.
• Request materials to be purchased and ensure the right materials are delivered.
• Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources.
• Together with the Shelter and Infrastructure Officer, work on project technical reports.
• Liaise with all internal and external stakeholders of the infrastructure projects.
• Ensure the Protection and Safety of workers/beneficiaries at project sites in close collaboration with the Shelter and Infrastructure Officer and Team Leader-. Shelter and Infrastructure
• Ensure regular communication between communities at the project implementation sites and DRC.
• In consultation with the Shelter and Infrastructure Officer, facilitate approval of site settings for specific Infrastructure and Water Resources Management works activities
• Monitor progress of Infrastructure and Water Resources Management activities on day to day basis to ensure that Communities and contracted companies comply with approved specifications and work plan
• Liaise with the Shelter and Infrastructure Officer and Team Leader – Shelter and Infrastructure to share possible obstacles to ongoing activities in order to seek for best solutions.
• Provide update/ highlights on progress of civil works activities on weekly basis.
• Ensure adequate and timely supply of materials by suppliers and contracted companies in order to minimize unnecessary delays or interruptions of the works in accordance with the work plan.
• Ensure contractors avail adequate labour force, visitors register books and instruction notebooks on site.
• Liaise with District Engineering Departments to allocate sites necessary for development of infrastructures.
• Document and share key lessons and recommendations based on performance of specific contractors in order to help improve the quality of other Infrastructure and Water Resources Management works
• In liaison with the Shelter and Infrastructure Officer, prepares designs and BoQs for any additional works identified during implementation of specific civil works contracts and accordingly advice the NURI team on other available cost effective means.
• Take lead in guiding the NURI Team and government counterparts during joint field inspections to specific implementation sites.
• Any other duties as assigned by Supervisor
Experience and Technical Competencies:
• Experience in technical assessment and screening of infrastructure works
• Experience in setting out roads, drainage structures, water ponds, valley tanks etc
• Experience in Supervision of Shelter and Infrastructure works.
• Experience in managing work force
• Ability to understand and clearly interpret works specifications and drawings
• Ability to use engineering soft wares such as AutoCAD and MS office packages.
• Bachelor’s degree/ Diploma in civil/ construction engineering or other related field.
• At least 3 years of practical field experience in construction works for bachelor degree holders and 5 years’ experience for diploma holders.
• Experience in Uganda is an added advantage.
• Lugbara, Madi, Alur
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies. Applications close on 6th August, 2021 .
Please click here to apply.