- Company: Unicef
- Location: Uganda
- State: Mbarara
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Education Jobs in Uganda
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, an Education
Uganda is one of the over 190 countries and territories around the world where we work to overcome the obstacles that poverty, violence, disease, and discrimination place in a child’s path. Together with the Government of Uganda and partners we work towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals, the objectives of the Uganda National Development Plan, and the planned outcomes of the United Nations Development Assistance Framework.
Visit this Link to connect with our mission in Uganda.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general supervision of the Education Specialist provides professional technical assistance and support for programme design, planning and implementation, management and evaluation of activities under all the three outputs of the Basic Education and Adolescent Development programme , data analysis and progress reporting, in support of achievement of programme goals and objectives.
- Contribute to country programmes by supporting knowledge management through providing professional assistance in data collection and analysis, complete and accurate reporting as well as participation in the Programme Knowledge Network system of “lessons learned” and other corporate-level databases.
- Participate in information exchange with partners as well as in the development of training and orientation material by providing professional technical assistance. Participate in the preparation of, and making professional contribution to, the preparation of programme reports required for the management.
- Provide professional technical assistance in the preparation of the Situation Analysis for development and management of Early Childhood Development, Quality Education and Adolescent Development outputs of the Basic Education and Adolescent Development programme, by collecting and analyzing data and monitoring implementation progress. Contribute to the identification of critical intervention points and measures by administering a consistent and transparent monitoring system; analyze country level socio-political-economic trends and their implications for ongoing programmes and projects. Draft or prepare programme work plans as required. Propose adjustments/changes in work plans. Propose program recommendations for inclusion in formal programme documentation, and new approaches, methods and practices for supervisor.
- Monitors programme implementation progress and compliance. Monitors the allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated. Takes appropriate recommendations or actions to optimize use of programme funds.
- Undertakes field visits to monitor and assess programme implementation and decides on required corrective action.
- Collaborate with partners to carry out a rigorous and transparent approach to evaluation and participate in the major programme evaluation exercises in consultation with the Representative, the Operations Officer, the Evaluation Officer and others to improve efficiency and quality of programme delivery. Participate in annual sector review meetings with government counterparts. Collaborate and prepare annual program status reports in a timely manner, as required.
- Support rights-based programmes approach in the formulation of programme goals and objectives and development of strategies and implementation frameworks. Collaborate with partners and assist in the strengthening of quality of child rights-based programmes consistent and effective planning, design, implementation, monitoring and/or evaluation of programmes and projects. Contribute to coherence, synergy and added value to the programming planning and design processes using a results-based management approach to programme planning and design.
- Provide professional technical assistance in preparing viable recommendations on project implementation, alternative approaches, and optimal utilization of resources that contribute effectively to the fulfilment of the rights of children and women, and recommendations on programme, new initiatives and management issues to ensure achievement of stated objectives.
- Provide government authorities with technical assistance and supports in planning and organizing training programmes for the purpose of capacity building and programme sustainability.
- Promote and maintain the building and reinforcing of the commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners by identifying these partners and partnerships and providing continuous supports, coordination and collaboration for sustainability.
- Analyze programme related issues and policies from a children’s and women’s rights perspective and advocacy at the community and family levels for elevating credibility in national policy debates. Promote the organization goals of UNICEF through active advocacy and communication.
- Facilitate partnership and collaboration with internal and external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate development data and information, exchange information on programme/project status and implementation and movement/distribution of supplies..
- Collaborate with the Operations Section to establish and maintain sound internal controls supportive of programming endeavours and to coordinate financial and supply management requirements and accountability. Approve allocation and disbursement of funds ensuring they are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated in accordance with the programme budget allotments (PBA).
- Maintain close collaboration with the Programme team at Kampala office for technical support and overall coordination.
- Provide professional support in provision of technical advice, negotiation, advocacy and promotion of Basic Education and Adolescent Development programme goals at local and national levels , leading to agreement on practicable and priority actions to be supported by UNICEF programme.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in conflict resolution.
Two years of relevant professional work experience.Field work experience in related area of work.Background/familiarity with Emergency.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)