Jobs at:Uganda Free Zones Authority (UFZA)
Deadline of this Job:
05 April 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, March 22, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Uganda Free Zones Authority (UFZA) is a Statutory Body established by the Free Zones Act, 2014, for the purpose of creating opportunities for export-oriented investment and job creation. The Authority is positioning itself to establish industrial infrastructure, attract developers and Operators and provide innovative Investor Support Services in Free Zones, Export processing Zones and Free Ports. The Authority is seeking to recruit persons with high integrity, dedication and commitment to fill the following position:
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Reports to: Manager (Legal Affairs)
Terms: Three-Year Contract (Renewable upon satisfactory performance)
Scale: UF4 Age Range: 28 - 35 Years
The jobholder is responsible for handling legal and regulatory matters of the Authority .
Key Roles and Responsibilities
• Monitor changes in the legal system, review new and proposed laws and their impact on the Authority and advise accordingly.
• Review the Authority's policies, procedures and manuals for compliance with National and Regional legal and regulatory
• frameworks and make appropriate recommendations
• Provide Support in organising and facilitating Board Meetings
• Draft and review contractual documents as assigned
• Represent the Authority in Court in legal matters including drafting and review of court pleadings, preparation of witnesses, and other obligations that may arise from time to time to protect the Authority's interests
• Carry out legal research and provide well-reasoned opinions to the Authority
• Prepare Legal and Regulatory reports for the Manager (Legal & Compliance) highlighting areas of noncompliance and mitigating actions
• Prepare legal briefs as requested
• Draft Court pleadings relevant to the cases and ensure that they are filed.
• Conduct legal due diligence on transactions the Authority intends to enter into
• Liaise with external Legal Counsel on various legal matters affecting the Authority.
• Any other duties assigned by the Supervisor from time to time.
• An honours Bachelor's degree in Law from a recognised and reputable University
• A Post graduate diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre
• Valid practicing certificate with evidence of practice for at least two years
• Any relevant professional qualification is an added advantage
A minimum of three (3) years of post-enrolment experience in Legal Practice and Regulatory compliance in a busy law firm, a large Corporation, Organisation or Government Department Agency
Character and Competences
• Excellent Communication skills
• Excellent Planning and prioritisation skills
• Must have a high level of professional and personal integrity
• Excellent interpersonal skills
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
UFZA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity and gender equality. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
Interested applicants who meet the requirement may send applications accompanied by a comprehensive CV with 3 referees, copies of transcripts and certificates as well as other relevant academic and professional credentials including daytime contact addressed to;
The Director General
Attn: Head Projects and Consultancy Department
Uganda Management Institute
Plot No. 44/52 Jinja Road, Kampala
P.O. Box 20131 Kampala, Uganda
Submit hard-copies to the address above or soft copies to [email protected] or [email protected] to be received not later than 3:00pm of Monday, 5th April 2021
Please visit these websites for more information: www.umi.ac.ug or www.freezones.go.ug