Report to: Head Audit
Location: Different branches in Uganda
Umoja Microfinance is a Ugandan Microfinance located at Ben Okot road, Plot 11, Bukoto Kampala, and started its activities on 1st October 2021. Umoja is a money lending institution licensed by the Uganda Microfinance Regulatory Authority (UMRA) and a member of the Association of Microfinance Institutions of Uganda (AMFIU). Umoja Microfinance exists to serve and empower people to build brighter futures together. Umoja means “unity” in Swahili. We are focused on improving lives through financial inclusion for all people. By providing the initial step up to those in need, we can break the cycle of poverty and empower a new generation of entrepreneurs and leaders in their communities.
Purpose of the position:
Identify, assess and monitor risk on an ongoing firm-wide and individual entity basis and support in the implementation of internal controls which are effective in design and operation.
• Undertake quality control reviews for the business units to ensure consistent implementation of policy and processes across all business units and identify any gaps, challenges, and improvement measures.
• Provide consolidated reporting, inclusive of an overall risk profile, ensuring that major risks are identified and reported to the Management Committee on risk hotspots, measures, and recommendations.
• Communicate board and regulatory responses or directives to business units.
• Monitor adherence to compliance, Anti Money Laundering ( AML) and Know your client (KYC) standards
• Assist in the development of and manage processes to identify and evaluate business areas’ risks and risk and control self-assessments. These include snap checks and other management monitoring checks/toolkits.
• Manage the process of developing risk policies and procedures, risk limits, and approval authorities.
• Implement and manage the risk and control assessment reporting process as well as manage and maintain management reports, follow up of issues identified for conclusive resolution
• Conduct compliance and risk assessment of key business areas as well as for new products/business changes to ensure risk and control adequacy, evaluation, process and adequate business risk profile.
• Undertake training to staff on inherent risks and controls in the processes within their control.
• Management Executive Committees reports evaluation and monitor against business strategy and regulatory requirements
• Identifying current and emerging risks
• Developing risk assessment and measurement systems
• Establishing policies, practices, and other control mechanisms to manage risks
• Developing risk tolerance limits for Management and board approval
• Reporting results of risk monitoring to Management and the board.
• Oversight over the credit process including approval of credit facilities.
• Oversight on loan provisioning process and remedial management.
• Independent oversight over the Umoja’s Assets and Liabilities Committee with regard to risk management measures and policy decisions.
• Periodic review and update of the risk management policies and procedures.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in business administration-accounting option or any other relevant discipline. Minimum of 3 years experience in a financial institution.
• Computer literate
• Writing and reporting skills
• Networking and influencing skills
• Ability to communicate in applicable local language(s)
• Track record demonstrating high integrity, reliability, and dependable
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Computer literacy
• Perform other duties as required
• The position requires the ability and willingness to travel domestically and 80 % of the time.
Attach a cover letter, copies of your academic documents, and CV.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section