Commissioner Tax Investigations - (210002Z)
Jobs at:Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Deadline of this Job:
18 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 30, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Commissioner Tax Investigations - (210002Z)
JOB ROLE/ PURPOSE:
Set the strategic direction for the Tax Investigations Department within the context of the overall URA Strategic Plan, provide leadership and lead the development of a robust tax investigations and compliance function that continually improves on the delivery of URA’s mandate.
1. Lead the Tax Investigations Department in the formulation and implementation of investigation and intelligence strategy to improve tax compliance
a. Develop and oversee the implementation of strategies for managing intelligence, investigations and compliance operations and actions of the Tax Investigations Department.
b. Establish mechanisms to track and account to Management, the Tax Investigations Department’s operational performance and compliance improvement strategies.
c. Develop Tax Investigations frameworks/ systems that continually contribute to increasing compliance amongst taxpayers.
d. Establish frameworks for supporting Domestic Taxes and Customs Departments in their operations and compliance initiatives.
2. Lead the development, implementation and review of investigations and intelligence processes and systems to increase efficiency in Tax Investigations Department operations to support revenue collections.
a. Identify potential Revenue Risks and Establish strategies for addressing them.
b. Identify the systems and processes that require development/review and propose their implementation strategies.
c. Guide the development of the systems and processes and provide appropriate approvals of the applicable documentation to uphold the Tax Investigations Departmental standards.
d. Periodically review the processes and systems to align them to Tax Investigations Departmental and/or changes in the URA strategy.
e. Provide relevant approvals for information generation and access in order to maintain its integrity.
3. Develop and maintain strategic alliances to enable the realization of Tax Investigations Departmental strategic objectives
a. Engage strategic partners for strategic alliances with the Department to enable efficient execution of the Tax Investigations Department strategy
b. Develop, maintain and periodically review frameworks for the Tax Investigations Department’s cooperation and partnership with identified strategic alliances.
c. Establish mechanisms to monitor staff adherence to agreed standards of cooperation with the partners for corrective action and continuous relationship enhancement.
d. Initiate and oversee the implementation of mechanisms / systems for periodic client sensitizations for awareness enhancement and provision of feedback
4. Lead the development and monitor programs to improve the capacity, performance and productivity of staff in the Tax Investigations Department to enhance the quality of their service
a. Guide the deployment and redeployment of staff across the Tax Investigations Department to ensure the right people are in the right positions.
b. Develop and Communicate the Strategy and work plan of the Tax Investigations Department.
c. Lead and Guide all Tax Investigations Divisions in Performance Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Processes and account to Management, the performance of the Department
d. Oversee the budget of the Tax Investigations Department and determine/approve the allocation of funds in line with the Department’s strategy.
e. Lead, guide and support the Tax Investigations Department in performance planning, monitoring and evaluation processes and account to Management, the performance of the Department.
f. Lead the identification of capacity gaps in the Tax Investigations Department, approve suitable development programs and establish strategies to monitor their implementation.
g. Create and continually enhance an enabling environment to enable all staff to maximize their performance, innovation and creativity potential
5. Develop and Monitor implementation of programs to cultivate a high integrity culture among staff
a. Develop and communicate the strategy to enhance staff integrity in the Tax Investigations Department.
b. Lead and guide the implementation of staff compliance programs to enhance staff adherence to the code of conduct, internal policies and guidelines.
• An Hons. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Statistics, Business Administration, Economics, Commerce or Taxation from a recognized academic Institution.
• Post Graduate Qualification in Accounting, Finance, Commerce, taxation or relevant field from a recognized academic Institution.
• At least ten (10) years of work experience in tax investigations, financial accounting or auditing, five (5) years of which should have been attained at Senior Management level in a reputable Organization.
• Training in Investigations
• A registered member of a professional body in Accounting, Investigations or any relevant field
• Leadership training from a reputable Institution
• Training in Risk management
• Experience in building and sustaining diplomatic partnerships and alliances.
• Experience in championing corporate transformations
• Experience in leading, managing and directing executive dialogue at local, regional and international level
• Knowledge of the various Tax Laws of Uganda and the East African Community, such as Income Tax Act, VAT Act, Excise Duty Act, Tax Procedures Code Act and East African Community Customs Management Act.
• Knowledge of other relevant laws such as the Penal Code Act, Criminal Procedures Act and Computer Misuse Act
• Knowledge of the Fraud Investigations and Auditing Processes.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
• S/he should have an impeccable record of integrity
• S/he should have a high level of intuition and emotional intelligence
• S/he should have demonstrated creativity and innovation capability
• S/he should have strong problem diagnosis and solving skills
• S/he should have Strong conceptual and analytical skills
• S/he Should have excellent leadership skills
• S/he should have excellent interpersonal and networking skills
• S/he should have the ability to develop, communicate the vision, motivate and influence a team of professionals towards the realization of a team’s/department’s mandate
• S/he should have the ability to coach, mentor and guide the professional growth of staff under supervision
• S/he should have excellent oral, written communication and presentation skills
• S/he should be agile and results oriented
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree