Commissioner Domestic Taxes - (210002Y)
Jobs at:Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Deadline of this Job:
18 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 30, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Commissioner Domestic Taxes - (210002Y)
JOB ROLE/ PURPOSE:
Set strategic direction for the Domestic Taxes Department within the context of the overall URA Strategic Plan, provide leadership and establish mechanisms that facilitate domestic tax administration to enhance compliance and tax revenue growth in the economy.
1. Review performance trends of the economy to identify sectors that require more attention as a way to inform the strategic direction of the Domestic Taxes Department (DT).
a. Develop the Domestic Taxes Departmental strategy and Identify the economic sectors to be focused on and propose the best approach for implementation.
b. Identify new potential revenue streams and initiate plans to include them in the tax base.
c. Provide strategic advice to URA Management on the priority tax areas, the feasibility and cost-benefit of focusing tax collection effort on them.
d. Initiate and set the scope for the design and maintenance of information systems and infrastructure that capture, track and report on the growth and performance of all sectors in the economy
2. Develop and oversee the implementation of tax compliance frameworks and service structures that enhance growth of tax revenue in the economy
a. Identify new potential revenue streams and establish strategies of widening the tax base.
b. Design a customized client-centric service strategy to address the varying taxpayer expectations and needs as a way of promoting voluntary compliance and reducing the cost of compliance.
c. Develop Key Performance Indicators for Domestic Taxes Department and monitor performance against the set KPIs.
d. Analyse input from stakeholders on mechanisms for improvement of the Domestic Tax administration systems, and guide Management on the required improvements from time to time
e. Design and apply a model within available resources to monitor and enforce tax compliance across the country as a way of reducing revenue leakage.
f. Oversee the development and continuous improvement of Domestic Taxes Department business processes and systems that facilitate collection of taxes.
g. Provide guidance and establish memoranda of understanding with the various government agencies that request to run their operations on the Domestic Taxes Department system(s)
3. Providing strategic guidance towards development, amendment and implementation of tax laws to ensure compliance
a. Advise Management and the Board on alternative and new areas of revenue mobilization.
b. Implement strategies to widen the tax base and improve revenue collections.
c. Attend various fora at both national and regional level to deliberate proposals to amend tax laws from time to time
d. Establish control systems that monitor standardized implementation of tax laws and policies across the Country
e. Resolve complex issues regarding fair application of tax laws or guidelines, and resolve any resultant conflict with a tax payer(s) on behalf of URA
4. Establish strategies for managing key Stakeholders and strategic partners for the Domestic Taxes Department so as to build and sustain a good working relationship
a. Profile stakeholders for the Domestic Taxes Department and establish mechanisms for information sharing with key stakeholders that may be used in tax administration
b. Attend strategic regional meetings and establish good working relations with other revenue bodies for their support whenever needed
c. Set and lead the implementation and monitoring of client service standards across the Domestic Taxes Department
d. Develop and lead the implementation of strategies for sensitization of the relevant stakeholders in respect to the various tax matters
e. Establish and oversee the implementation of mechanisms that ensure excellent client relations and customer care within the Domestic Taxes Department.
f. Monitor and evaluate the impact of the various client relations strategies and programs on the tax payers and establish areas of improvements from time to time.
5. Lead the development and monitor programs to improve the capacity, performance and productivity of staff in the department to enhance the quality of their service
a. Guide the deployment and re-deployment of staff across the Domestic Taxes Department to ensure the right people are in the right positions
b. Develop and communicate the strategy and work plan of the Domestic Taxes Department
c. Lead and guide all the Divisions in Domestic Taxes Department in performance planning, monitoring and evaluation processes and account to Management, the performance of the Department.
d. Review and approve budgets for the Divisions in line with Domestic Taxes Department strategic objectives ensuring value for money in line with financial management standards and policies of URA
e. Review and approve annual plans of all divisions of Domestic Taxes Department in line with the URA Corporate agenda
f. Set revenue performance targets for all direct reports and track their performance, identifying areas of improvement and agreeing support initiatives
g. Develop and guide the implementation of staff motivation programs in the Domestic Taxes Department.
h. Account for the performance of the Domestic Taxes Department against plan by documenting and presenting periodic performance reports
i. Account for the revenue performance of the Domestic Taxes Department and present monthly revenue performance reports
j. Lead the identification of capacity gaps in the Domestic Taxes Department, approve suitable development programs and establish strategies to monitor their implementation
k. Create and continually enhance an enabling environment to enable all staff to maximize their performance, innovation and creativity potential
6. Develop and Monitor implementation of programs to cultivate a high integrity culture among staff in the Domestic Taxes Department
7. Develop and communicate the strategy to enhance staff integrity in the Domestic Taxes Department
8. Lead and guide the implementation of staff compliance programs to enhance staff adherence to the code of conduct, internal policies and guidelines
• An Hons. Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Administration, Business Administration, Law or Commerce from a recognized academic Institution
• At least ten (10) years of work experience in tax, auditing or financial accounting, five (5) of which should have been attained at Senior Management level in a reputable Organization.
• A Post graduate qualification in Business Administration, Statistics, Economics, Management, Commerce, law, Public Administration or any other relevant field from a recognized academic Institution
• A registered member of a professional body
• Leadership Training from a reputable Institution
• Experience in Tax matters
• Experience in planning, leading and overseeing the performance of a large professional team of staff
• Experience in building and sustaining diplomatic partnerships and alliances.
• Experience in managing executive dialogue at local, regional and international levels
• Experience in championing corporate transformation.
• Excellent knowledge of Tax Laws at national, regional and international levels
• General knowledge of the applicability of domestic tax laws
• Knowledge of the International frameworks for raising domestic revenues
• Knowledge of the applicability of international treaties and conventions
• Excellent knowledge of the Public Finance Management Act
• General knowledge of the Planning and budgeting cycle as stipulated in the laws of Uganda
• Knowledge of the Domestic Resource Mobilization Strategy (DRMS) and the URA Corporate Plan.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
• Should have a high degree of maturity that portrays the URA corporate image
• Should have excellent Interpersonal relations and communication skills
• Should have excellent analytical and problem solving skills
• Should be quick at decision making
• Should be a team player with an admirable demeanor that influences behavior in a multi-disciplinary team
• Should have excellent negotiation and networking capabilities
• Should be assertive and emotionally intelligent
• Should express resilience and commitment to work
• Should have the ability to prepare analytical reports and make convincing presentations
• Should be able to coach, mentor and guide a team of senior leaders under supervision
• Should have a track record of impeccable integrity
• Should be agile and result oriented
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 120
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree