- Company: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency
- Location: Uganda
- State: Uganda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: NGO Jobs in Uganda
This position is open to applications from Group 1, Group 2 and all external candidates, provided that requirements regarding professional experience, academic qualifications, language, etc. are fulfilled.
Candidates must be primarily Ugandan nationals. The minimum educational requirement for this position is a university degree.
Applications must be supported by documentation of fully effective performance history and demonstrated potential to assume professional responsibilities.
Your application will NOT be considered if;
- The application form is not duly filled.
- The questionnaire at the end of the application form is not answered. (for external candidates)
Interested staff members should consult Recruitment and Assignment of Locally-recruited Staff (RALS) para 38-39-40.
Duties And Qualifications
Associate Risk Management and Compliance Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate Risk Management and Compliance Officer will be part of a network of Risk Management 2.0 practitioners and will collaborate with this network to ensure strengthening of risk culture across UNHCR. Special attention is paid to coherence, identification of systemic issues requiring a corporate-wide response, and sharing of good risk management practices and lessons learnt.
The incumbent shall engage with internal stakeholders, including with the Bureau and HQ, as appropriate, to align reforms and initiatives. As directed by the supervisor, the incumbent may also engage with external stakeholders including Government offices, partners, donors, and (for in-situ posts) contractors and refugee/host communities, to maximize collective efforts to manage risk, and strengthen compliance and the quality of services provided to persons of concern.
For in-situ positions, the incumbent will be in the first line of defence, supporting the operation in compliance and risk management. S/he shall support the review the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities within the operation, make recommendations as appropriate, and assist management in their implementation. For regional positions the incumbent will support the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in coordinating operations within their region in matters related to risk, compliance and oversight, as part of the second line of defence.
S/he should typically report to the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in a Bureau or Country Operation.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the Operation/Bureau on risk management, compliance, and oversight matters, helping them in discharging their responsibilities and accountabilities to manage risks and comply with policies and procedures;
- Support the integration of risk management, ethical and integrity considerations into decision making, planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and contingency activities in the Operation(s)/Bureau under the Area of Responsibility (AoR);
- Promote the use of good risk management tools and approaches;
- Support the Operation/Bureau in the implementation of oversight recommendations to improve risk management, compliance and quality of outputs;
- Work with internal and external oversight entities, develop and implement procedures to collect relevant data and efficiently track and report specific issues, trends and cross-cutting matters representing a high risk to the Operation(s) under AoR;
- Prepare input to management reports to internal and external stakeholders;
- Support the coordination and delivery of relevant trainings, workshops and other capacity building initiatives relevant to risk management and compliance;
- Ensure that the risk register of the Operation/Bureau is kept up to date and correctly reflected in the on-line tool;
- Perform other related duties as required.
In-situ posts only
- Support the coordination and facilitation of the risk review exercises with functional experts and management to agree on the corporate risk register, and appropriate risk responses; facilitate, monitor and report on the implementation of agreed responses;
- Analyse risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. Prepare summary reports, with recommendations, on significant matters requiring management action or intervention, or changes to corporate level policies/procedures;
- Monitor compliance against policies and procedures, advise management of areas of non-compliance and identify the root cause of this and appropriate corrective actions.
Bureau posts only
- Support the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in coordinating and quality assuring the risk review exercise in the operations under the AoR, monitoring that appropriate action is taken to mitigate the identified risks;
- Contribute to the implementation of the cross-functional risk-based regional monitoring plans of operations under AoR through missions and desk reviews;
- Analyse risk management, compliance, and oversight findings and recommendations. Provide inputs to a regional risk report on a regular basis, summarizing key oversight themes and using risk information (e.g. metrics, risk indicators, incidents) to highlight the highest risks at the regional level, identify lessons learnt and root causes.
- Participate in risk-based monitoring and support missions to countries under their AoR to assess the adequacy of risk management and compliance systems, structures, procedures and capacities – report back to the Senior Risk Management and Compliance Advisor in order to help improve enterprise wide risk management methodologies, tools and practices.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Business Administration; International Affairs; Political Science; Risk Management;
or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Risk Management Basics & ERM Program
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 1 year of experience in positions involving, amongst other things, responsibilities relating to risk management, compliance or quality of results.
- Demonstrated high level of integrity, objectivity, impartiality and fairness.
- Excellent judgement with proven ability to deal with complex interrelated issues and strong analytical and problem solving skills to develop solutions that address root causes.
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Good working knowledge of UNHCR¿s mandate, field operations, organizational structure, and policies & procedures.
- Certification in risk management.
- Strong skills in collaboration, team building, capacity development and with ability to deliver quality results on time.
- Exposure to and experience in UN or humanitarian field operations and emergencies in various geographical locations and multiple functional areas.
DM-Data Collection and Analysis
CO-Drafting and Documentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.