- Company: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency
- Location: Uganda
- State: Uganda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Uganda
This position is open to applications from Group 1, Group 2 and all external candidates, provided that requirements regarding professional experience, academic qualifications, language, etc. are fulfilled.
Candidates must be primarily Ugandan nationals. The minimum educational requirement for this position is a university degree.
Applications must be supported by documentation of fully effective performance history and demonstrated potential to assume professional responsibilities.
Your application will NOT be considered if;
- The application form is not duly filled.
- The questionnaire at the end of the application form is not answered. (for external candidates)
Interested staff members should consult Recruitment and Assignment of Locally-recruited Staff (RALS) para 38-39-40.
Duties And Qualifications
Assistant ICT Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Under the technical supervision of ICT Officer or Administrative Officer, the Assistant ICT Officer implements the ICT operational plan in a well-defined geographical area. The incumbent provides technical supervision and guidance to locally recruited staff and ensure that ICT equipment is fully operational at all times. S/he receives technical support and guidance from their supervisor.
Internally, the incumbent liaises directly with own Service Delivery Team on a daily basis as well as with end users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues. S/he may also liaise with external service providers, as required, to resolve escalated infrastructure issues.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Participate in the assessment of operational and security infrastructure needs in each UNHCR office in the area of responsibility (AOR).
- Support the implementation of the ICT operations plan and thereafter ensures that all equipment is in good working conditions at all times as to meet the ICT needs of the offices.
- Discuss infrastructure needs with the Head of offices in the AOR and provide input for the budget submission.
- Monitor and coordinate the work of other ICT staff as directed by the Head of Offices in accordance with the standards set by Headquarters.
- Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all infrastructure equipment under AOR.
- Provide coaching and training to ICT staff and users. Draft procedures and instructions to promote a better understanding of the use of the ICT equipment.
- Participate in the assessment of security related projects in coordination with the Field Security Officer and assist in the formulation of recommendations on security communications.
- Promote relation with UNHCR implementing partners to enhance communication and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Liaise with the National Regulatory Authority to ensure that licenses and permissions required to operate UNHCR telecommunications networks are granted.
- Actively participate in ICT related meetings to ensure that all decisions taken meet UNHCR¿s operational and security requirements.
- Liaise directly with end users to clarify, analyse and resolve reported issues, delivering high standards of customer service.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA – 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
ICT; or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
- Satellite Communications;
- ITIL V3 Foundation Level
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Hands on experience working in current versions of Microsoft Windows Server, Active Directory, SQL Server. SharePoint, Hyper-V and network monitoring software.
- Knowledge of VoIP technology and network systems.
- Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems and knowledge of network monitoring software.
- Hands-on experience with current Microsoft technologies (Windows 7, Office 2010/2013, IIS, Lync, etc.).
- Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
- Practical experience working in the deep field.
- Experience working with an external managed service provider for ICT infrastructure maintenance and support.
EX-Experience with external managed service provider for ICT infrast maintenance & support
IT-Wide Area Networks (WAN)
IT-IT Satellite Communications (VSAT)
IT-IT Radio Communications (HF, UHF, VHF)
IT-IT Network Monitoring & Alerting Tools
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.