Jobs at:Caritas Kotido Diocese
Deadline of this Job:
22 January 2021
Within Uganda , Abim , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Caritas Kotido Diocese was established in 1991 as the social services and development arm of the Catholic Diocese of Kotido and also known as the Charity of the Bishop of Kotido Catholic Diocese. Caritas Kotido Diocese operates under the registered Trustee of Kotido Diocese and uses the Certi?cate of Incorporation of “Kotido Diocese” as a corporate body under the name “THE REGISTERED TRUSTEES OF KOTIDO DIOCESE”.
As a development arm of the Diocese; its scope of operation spans across the Districts of Kotido, Abim, Kaabong and Karenga with a total area of 13,245 Sq. Km with a population of 457,222 (UBOS, 2014). Caritas Kotido Diocese works through a network of structures and registered community groups in North Karamoja. The major projects of focus are on livelihoods, food and nutrition security, governance, HIV and AIDS, gender based violence, WASH, Disaster Risk Management/Climate change adaptation, environmental conservation and ecosystem restoration, reduction of violence against women, child protection, humanitarian assistance, Resilience building, women & youth skilling, economic empowerment and Justice and Peace. The vision of Caritas Kotido Diocese is to have “a seljlreliant, just and peaceful community. " The mission is “T0 empower vulnerable communities through sustainable development programs. ”
Caritas Kotido Diocese is part of a consortium led by Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to run a ?ve-year (October 2017- September 2022) Food for Peace (FFP), Development Food Security Activities (DFSA) USAID funded program entitled “Nuyok” meaning “ours” whose goal is to build resilience to shocks, enhance livelihoods and improve food security and nutrition for vulnerable rural families in four districts of Karamoja viz: Abim, Nabilatuk, Nakapiripirit and Napak - which are homes to 406,880 people living in an estimated 58,126 households. Caritas Kotido Diocese through support from CRS implements the activities of NUYOK Program in Abim District.
In order to effectively implement the program activities, Caritas Kotido Diocese is seeking to recruit quali?ed and competent individuals to fill up the positions below.
Position title: Accountant
Reports to: Finance and Admin Manager
Duty station: Kotido Head Of?ce.
He/she will ensure adequate stewardship of agency resources and sound ?nancial reporting in line with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Caritas Kotido policies and procedures, local laws and donor requirements. S/he will be responsible for processing of staff advances, reconciliation of advances, payment of vendors, staff travel reimbursements, managing bank & petty cash operations, cash receipts, receivables, prepayments & payables among others. .
• The incumbent examines ?nancial documents such as invoices, vouchers, advance requests, expense reports, and purchase orders to ensure completeness, accuracy, reasonability and validity of ?nancial data.
• Maintains, monitors, and disburses funds from the project bank account(s) in accordance with Caritas Kotido Diocese ?nancial policies and procedures.
• Support the ?lling of statutory obligations such as NSSF, PAYEE, WHT and LST.
• Ensures that accounting documents are ?led on a timely basis, proper accounting records are maintained and compatible with standard accounting practices of Caritas Kotido Diocese and donor guidelines.
• Working with project/Program, Senior managers to assist program staff to prepare grant budgets to support new proposals or realignments and also ensuring adequate coverage of ?eld operating cost
• Prepare payment vouchers and allocate various projects and grants expenses to different cost centers/grants in compliance with Caritas Kotido Diocese cost allocation methodologies and donor requirements.
• Regularly monitors and reconciles supplier statements on regular basis and ensures timely settlement of their payments.
• Photocopying of cheques, and or documents (copying documents whenever there is a need)
• Filing and Entering into computer ?nancial data and maintaining general, Cash/Bank ledgers.
• Coordinate banking issues relating to all project transactions.
• Participate in the audit processes of the projects, particularly facilitating audit team members‘ easy access to the project ?nancial records.
• Code & Monitor budgets, record all expenses in line with the approved budget in order to ensure that correct expenditures are correctly charged to grants and that grants are not overspent.
• Verify vendor claims, advances and other receivables to ensure that suppliers are paid in a timely manner, per contracts and in conformance with donor’s/CKD ?nancial policies.
• Periodically update staff of their request status, process the advance and ensure timely payment of the advance that are approved and communicate any challenges thereof.
• Maintain accounting and internal control system within the Finance department to ensure adequate, effective and ef?cient functioning of the department.
• Reviewing of payment vouchers and invoices for accuracy and reconciling any discrepancies.
• Monitors and reconciles travel expenses and project expenses to individual advances to ensure they are liquidated in a timely manner.
• Codes, tracks, and processes vendor invoices, consultant invoices and staff travel advances for payments on a timely basis.
• Posting entries into the accounting system on a daily basis.
• Assist Finance and Admin Manager in preparation of monthly ?nancial reports, accruals and projections, and any other ?nancial reports.
• Maintain accounting and internal control system within the Finance department to ensure adequate, effective and ef?cient functioning ofthe department.
• Develops detailed activity reports and expenditure analysis per program/project to be shared with the Finance Manager and program staff.
• To participate in the budget preparation framework and ensure the budgeting cycle is concluded before the start of each ?nancial year for each project/programs
• Work with the Finance and Admin Manger to develop annual budgets for program/project activities and of?ce costs.
• Provide necessary ?nancial information as and when required for project management decisions
• Responsible for ?eld payments during trainings and other ?eld activities especially in ?eld of?ces that have no ?nance person.
• Liaise with ?eld ?nance team
• Represent Caritas Kotido in the district, regional and other relevant fora that are in line with mandate of work.
• Perform any other duties as assigned
Quali?cation, skills and experience:
• The ideal candidate for this vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following; Development Studies, Social Sciences, Gender, Social Work & Social Administration and Political Studies. A postgraduate diploma in the relevant ?eld is a requirement. A master’s degree in the relevant ?eld is an added advantage.
• Minimum of 3-5 years‘ experience in managing development programs or projects, gender & governance and livelihoods preferably with NGOs /lNGOs/FBOs.
• Proven understanding of best practices of gender and governance approaches in development The applicant must be a proven leader who can effectively manage other staff and work within a team, work independently and take initiative.
• Proven experience with project management tools such as log frames, monitoring and evaluation tools and budget forecast and control.
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
• Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
• Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to analyse and write technical reports.
• Excellent inter-personal skills including training, monitoring and supporting staff
• Experience and skills in community action planning, networking and research, analysis and report writing
• Proactive, results and service-oriented.
• Knowledgeable of local language(s) i.e. Thur or Luo
• Possession of a valid riding permit is a must.
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience Requirements: 3 -5 years
Agency-wide Competencies (for all Caritas Kotido Diocese Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of Caritas Kotido Diocese and
used by each staff member to ful?ll his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Team Work
• Passion to serve the poor and vulnerable communities
• Accountability & Stewardship
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skills, efforts, duties, and responsibilities associated with the positions.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and vision. Caritas Kotido Diocese is a charity of the Bishop of Kotido Catholic Diocese that serves the interest of the poor and vulnerable communities. We welcome as a part of our staff, people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. Caritas Kotido Diocese processes and policies re?ect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Quali?ed and interested candidates for the above positions should submit their application letters, curriculum vitae with three work related referees having contacts & e-mails, certi?ed copies of relevant Academic and work base documents and Hand deliver to Caritas Kotido - Abim ?eld Of?ce, Kaabong Field Of?ce or Caritas Kotido Diocese Head office well
The Human Resource Officer,
Caritas Kotido Diocese,
P.O BOX 55,
Submission deadline: 22nd January 2021 at 5:00pm
1All quali?ed candidates are encouraged to apply though only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
No applications can be accepted after the deadline.
Canvassing for support will lead to automatic disquali?cation.
Applications without certi?ed academic documents shall not be considered.
Caritas Kotido does not discriminate on any ground, all quali?ed applicants are encouraged to apply.