Job Title: – Business Support Assistant (Office of the Deputy Country Director) UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: World Food Programme (WFP)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
World Food Programme (WFP) Profile
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Business Support Assistant (Office of the Deputy Country Director), SC5 to be based in Kampala. The selected candidate will be employed on Service Contract.
The Country Office is looking for a quick learner and self-starter who can succeed with minimal supervision while possessing excellent teamwork skills. Qualified candidates will demonstrate an eagerness to leverage the position’s unique exposure to learn about WFP’s programmatic offering and contribute to WFP’s operations both administratively and substantively.
Candidates are expected to possess very strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as an analytical mindset that allows the job holder to anticipate the Deputy Country Director’s support needs, the escalation and prioritization of critical items to the Deputy Country Director’s attention and effective coordination of the different teams supporting the Deputy Country Director. The Country Office offers a wide range of opportunities that may serve to widen and deepen the job holder’s professional profile.
The job holder reports directly to the Deputy Country Director of WFP Uganda who oversees programme development, quality and impact (including monitoring and evaluation), as well as field operations (i.e. WFP’s field presence/offices). The job holder is expected to take responsibility for the completion of a range of administrative and substantive business support activities that enable the Deputy Country Director to effectively carry out his/her duties.
The purpose of the position is to support the Deputy Country Director both administratively and substantively by delivering a wide range of business support processes and activities in order to facilitate effective service delivery.
Beyond administrative tasks, the role is exposed to a wide range of programmatic and partnership-related activities that allow significant contributions to WFP’s programme design and implementation processes, as well as to ensure effective partnership management with key stakeholders.
Roles and Responsibilities:
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Identify, extract, and analyze information from various sources and prepare briefing notes, decision memos, recommendations for DCD action and/or synthesise such information for inclusion in correspondence and reports; draft various standard correspondence (both procedural and substantive) and review all outgoing correspondence for composition and style as well as grammatical accuracy, factual correctness and adherence to WFP procedures.
- On behalf of the DCD, coordinate and expedite office-wide responses to sensitive enquiries ensuring high-quality output both formally and substantively.
- Maintain the DCD’s calendar and schedule appointments and meetings and ensure effective prioritization and preparation of the DCD’s engagements.
- Maintain and update the office’s filing and reference system, including confidential files, performance evaluation reports and disciplinary actions.
- Facilitate the flow of documents presented to the DCD for approval including internal memos, external correspondence, travel documents, leave request forms, among others.
- Prepare and follow up on Note for the Record (NFR)/minutes of DCD’s office meetings.
- Review Area Office monthly situation reports for management action requirements and follow up to ensure completion of actions on behalf of the DCD and management.
- Provide support to internal and external stakeholders in effective communication with the DCD through proactive coordination, communication, and preparation.
- Support the Country Director’s office, as required.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Minimum Qualifications for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
- A Bachelor’s degree in any field, preferably: General Administration, Business Administration, Secretarial Studies, Development Studies, International Relations/Affairs, Legal Studies, Communication, or related areas from a recognized education institution.
- At least three (3) years of progressive professional experience in development/humanitarian programme implementation, administration, planning, cash management, reconciliation, vendor relations, reporting & information management, o?ce administration, partnership management, or related duties.
- Ability to use MS O?ce Applications.
- Knowledge of specialized common business practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience. Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals to provide a high-quality support service.
- Ability to carry out basic data analysis and independently rectify problems.
- Ability to monitor and record ?nancial transactions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Local languages/dialects are a plus.
How To Apply for UN WFP Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 17th June 2021
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.