Cash transfers are at a potential inflection point: COVID-19 has amplified the challenges of bulkier in-kind aid models , and over 190 countries are deploying cash as the dominant tool of assistance. GiveDirectly has an opportunity to leverage its strong track record (i.e. operations across 9 countries, >$250M transferred to over a million individuals, 13 randomized control trials), to both deliver immense impact and position itself as the premiere cash implementation organization globally.
We are seeking an entrepreneurial individual to support our Africa country offices as they innovate on our model (e.g. scaling contactless approaches post-COVID), establish a foothold in new markets (e.g. creating a sustainable humanitarian practice), and invest in a exceptional talent. This role requires a dynamic leader, who is animated by the problem-solving required to drive operational excellence (e.g. how do we tamp down on new forms of leakage?), and energized by building sustainable strutures and supports to nurture diverse teams as they grow.
The Regional Director will provide significant strategic direction and support to multiple country programs and initiatives under her/his supervision. The specific countries/programs to be supervised will be determined collaboratively through the hiring process, and may evolve as new opportunities emerge. The Regional Director will report to the COO-International and work in parallel to a second regional director. Together they will work closely to ensure cohesive management across GiveDirectly’s Africa country operations, drive for excellence in existing operations, and pursue new opportunities that sustain and grow GiveDirectly’s impact.
GiveDirectly currently operates in multiple African countries: DRC, Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, DRC, Malawi, Liberia, and Morocco, as well providing assistance to the government of Guinea. GiveDirectly is in ongoing discussions about potential expansion to new countries.
Our team is passionate about shifting the status quo with respect to how and by whom decisions are made in the aid space. We believe elevating recipient choice is critical, as is demonstrably committing to transparency around metrics and evidence. We are looking for applicants who are deeply aligned with these objectives, and energized by the prospect of building an organization that advances them.
- People management – hire and manage country directors and cross-country staff, and ensure great talent management and development within the teams under his/her supervision, including development and growth for leaders, and equity and inclusion goals being met.
- Strategy and planning – support Country Director planning and develop and drive regional goals which reflect GD values and mission, which could include expansion into new countries and new innovation initiatives.
- Program management – ensure programs under direct supervision hit a bar of operational excellence, and drive initiatives in coordination with Africa Operations Director which drive quality improvement across all Africa programs; Ensure effective information flow from HQ to country programs, as well as externally with key local allies and knowledge networks.
- Partnerships – coach and assist Country Directors identifying strategic partnership opportunities and advancing in-country pipeline (ensuring collaboration with GD’s global partnerships team), including direct support for key proposals; take direct leadership for new country initiatives and cross-country opportunities; represent GD externally at the highest levels.
- Experience managing exceptional diverse teams, including coaching and creating opportunities for meaningful professional development, and hiring world-class talent.
- A track record of building relationships and developing new programs with bilateral and institutional donors, coaching teams on partnerships management, and/or advancing sales pipelines.
- Expertise with high-quality project management relevant to the work that GiveDirectly does, including with scenarios and risks that lack off-the-shelf playbooks.
- Relevant experience in one or more of GiveDirectly’s operating countries in Africa.
- Fluency in French strongly preferred
- Experience engaging and influencing with policy makers preferred.
- Comfort and agility with quantitative assessment, program quality metrics, and financial analysis.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong alignment with GD values
- Based out of one of GD African offices
- ~2-3 weeks per quarter travelling to country offices under his/her supervision, depending on launch timelines
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**