Job Title: – IOM Uganda Jobs 2022 National Programme Officer, Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI)
Organization: International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reference No: VN/UG/007/2022
International Organisation for Migration (IOM) Profile
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) in IOM Uganda, and the direct supervision of the Program Manager LMI, in collaboration with the Senior Regional Specialist (LMI) and the team at RO Nairobi and with the relevant units at IOM, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of the regional project in Uganda by managing the following functions:
Roles and Responsibilities:
- In consultation with the Programme Manager, coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the Labour Mobility and Regional Integration for Safe, Orderly and Human Labour Migration in East and Horn of Africa: Better Regional Migration Management Phase II in Uganda.
- Manage projects’ implementation in a timely manner, overseeing its financial, administrative and technical aspects, in line with policies and procedures, as well as donor requirements through maintaining a sound monitoring, evaluation and learning framework to enable continuous improvement.
- In coordination with the LMI Programme Manager, Resource Management Unit (RMU) and the Program Support Unit (PSU), conduct a periodic review of progress of the FCDO project’s expenditure pattern, reporting, and recommend the necessary initiatives to maintain consistency with the implementation plan.
- Supervise the FCDO staff assigned to the project, follow up on the work of consultants, monitor and coordinate the activities of Implementing Partners and service providers recruited to support and/or undertake specific project activities.
- Establish and maintain liaison and strong working relations with the LMI RO team, Government entities, UN agencies and other Implementing Partners and stakeholders, including the private sector aimed to avoid duplication and further strengthen the FCDO project.
- Undertake analysis and prepare regular progresses and other reports, ensure proper information exchange on all operational aspects of the project between IOM Uganda, RO colleagues and other partners and stakeholders.
- Identify and manage the implementation of the complementary activities to enhance the impact of the FCDO interventions.
- In coordination with the LMI Programme Manager, RMU and Procurement/Logistics unit, oversee the project related procurement efforts for supplies and services ensuring that the processes are transparent and in line with IOM and donor’s regulations.
- Contribute and proactively provide substantive support towards the identification and development of new projects opportunities in the country in relation to expressed governmental needs, donors’ priorities and in line with IOM’s mandate and strategy Labour
Migration and Social Inclusion.
- Participate at the relevant seminars and meetings, as well as other events aimed at promoting IOM Uganda’s work in safe, regularly and orderly Labour migration.
- In collaboration with the LMI Programme Manager and the M&E officer, ensure proper and timely monitoring of the project activities as required.
- Contribute in advocacy, capacity building, knowledge management and visibility by identifying common strategies for communicating with public, media, and policy makers, including for the marketing and advocacy of appeals to donors; and support in timely resource mobilization for successful implementation of Labour Migration and Social inclusion projects.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Minimum Qualifications for IOM Uganda Jobs 2022
- Completed Master’s degree in Development studies, Social Sciences, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution or, Bachelor’s degree in the above-mentioned fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in project management, labour migration management, or stakeholder advocacy and engagement.
- Field experience in a Labour Migration and Social Inclusion
- Experience in project management, team building, stakeholder advocacy and engagement, capacity building and working with the private sector, government, civil society and international organizations
- Experience and good record in liaising, partnership and engagement with government institutions and donors in the region
- Experience of multi-tasking skills as well ability to manage competing priorities under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Experience in development and implementation of capacity-building activities
- Experience in UN coordination mechanisms.
- High level of critical and analytical skills in budget preparation, monitoring and implementation.
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in MS Office programmes, social media, knowledge of SharePoint or other collaboration and knowledge management platforms is an advantage.
- Knowledge of financial management system and any ERP system an advantage.
- Fluency in English
- Working Knowledge of any other UN languages.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How To Apply for IOM Uganda Jobs 2022
All suitably qualified and Interested applicants may send their applications to [email protected]
Reference Number and Position Title: VN/UG/007/2022 – National Programme Officer, Labour Migration and Social Inclusion (LMI) NOA should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged.
Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page) and résumé highlighting the required education and experience.
Deadline: 1 st July 2022