Jobs at:Kara Tunga
Deadline of this Job:
20 January 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Kara-Tunga is hiring a Finance Officer to support the growth of the organisation where business obligations meet donor-requirements. The ideal candidate has sufficient experience to individually manage financial donor-requirements as well as business financial obligations according to the laws of Uganda.
Kara-Tunga is an Ugandan social enterprise, a pioneer in tourism development for Karamoja sub-region in northeastern Uganda. The enterprise believes in doing business to do good and therefore work together with various corporate partners and NGO’s towards a community-lead and competitive regional tourism sector.
Kara-Tunga has founded several initiatives as part of their eco-system of tourism for sustainable development (skilling, marketing, product development, tour operation and hospitality services). The current ‘Finance Officer’ vacancy is aimed at strengthening the team with financial expertise to be able to comply with financial needs of the business as well as the donor-funded side.
Under the direct supervision of the Directors, the Finance Officer, holds responsibility directly related to Accounting, Project Finance and Procurement and general office administrative duties.
The Finance Officer is responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions are performed in accordance with Kara-Tunga policies and procedures, the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Donor-requirements, Uganda Tax Obligations, Uganda Employment Act.
Key working relationships
• Project coordinators
• Project assistants
• Community officer
• Tour consultant
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or Finance or CPA, ACCA equivalent.
• Business studies or management with specialisation in finance or accounting.
• A minimum of three (3) years of accounting experience.
• Sound experience of working in finance, administration and/or procurement in a relevant field in Business and NGOs.
• Understanding of Business as well as NGO operating procedures, principals and requirements like tax and other government-imposed obligations.
• Excellent computer skills, specifically in Microsoft excel.
• Experience of using accounting software especially, QuickBooks.
• Fluency in English (written and spoken)
• A positive problem-solving approach
• Good inter-personal and team-working skills
• A commitment to learning and being open to new ideas and approaches
• Commitment to own continuing personal and professional development
• Good time management skills
• Honest and Trustworthy
Duties and responsibilities
• Provides financial reports to meet both internal and external donor requirements. Supports the project manager in being compliant to internal- and external procedures and regulations and donor guidelines regarding the financial administration of projects.
• Assists in development of budgets in proposals. Guides and oversees qualification process for grants if applicable.
• Manage and oversee the daily operations of the accounting department including: (month and end-year process, accounts payable/receivable, cash receipts, general ledger, payroll and utilities, treasury, budgeting, cash forecasting, revenue and expenditure variance analysis, capital assets reconciliations, trust account statement reconciliations, check runs, fixed asset activity, debt activity.
• Monitor and analyze accounting data and produce financial reports or statements
• Establish and enforce proper accounting methods, policies and principles
• Coordinate and complete annual audits
• Provide recommendations
• Improve systems and procedures and initiate corrective actions
• Assign projects and direct to ensure compliance and accuracy
• Meet financial accounting objectives
• Establish and maintain fiscal files and records to document transactions
Key performance indicators
• Accounts payable turnover ratio
• Accounts receivable turnover ratio
• Monthly management reports
• Timely submission of financial reports
Kara-Tunga is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer generous benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave. We welcome and strongly encourage qualified female professionals to apply.
Remuneration is standardized for the role of Finance Officer, contact us for more information. The role is expected to take five days a week (full-time), although the workload will differ heavily depending on the phase of the project. The coordinator will be expected to be flexible (it’s not a typical 9-to-5 job).
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Applicants are expected to send an application letter OR video pitch (max 2 minutes), as well as a concise CV to [email protected] In the application letter you are expected to elaborate on your ambitions and motivation, skills and experience. Also, clearly indicate for which position you are applying. Add the contacts of two or more relevant references. The first round of applications will close at January 20, 2022.
Apply through LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2872586187/