Pre-Service Development Officers – Gulu, Uganda – ICYD Activity
Jobs at:Education Development Center
Deadline of this Job:
01 July 2022
Within Uganda , Gulu , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Overall, the Pre-Service Development Officers (PSDOs) will support the integration of EGR and school-related gender-based violence (SRGBV) prevention in Primary Teacher Education (PTE) curriculum and Uganda National Institute for Teacher Education (UNITE) Campuses, as well as support EGR instruction in primary schools targeted by ICYD. They will directly support a number of primary schools that are within the ICYD intervention districts where the Primary Teachers’ Colleges (PTCs) are located. In case a college is not located in an ICYD intervention district, a nearby district will be assigned. It is imperative that the PSDOs support EGR instruction in the primary schools and observe student teachers and in-service teachers implementing EGR methodology and SRGBV prevention. This will help identify lessons from the classroom to improve pre-service work.
The PSDOs, based in Core Primary Teachers’ Colleges (CPTCs), will support PTC capacity assessment; preservice faculty development in EGR and SRGBV prevention; core and non-core PTC coordination to extend faculty development and practicum experiences; action research coordination with demonstration schools; and integration of pre- and in-service support to teachers in EGR and SRGBV prevention. This position will liaise with CPTC, Teacher Education Training and Development (TETD), UNITE counterparts, Kyambogo University (KyU) personnel, and ICYD Early Grade Reading Officers (EGROs). PSDOs will report to the Senior Zone Manager and will work closely with the ICYD Pre-Service (Education) Advisor. This is a full-time position located at one of the Core PTCs, as well as supporting National Teachers’ Colleges (NTCs) in close proximity of the CPTC and primary schools.
Essential functions include (but are not limited to):
Under the technical oversight of the Pre-Service Advisor:
• Support Core PTCs to implement assessments of Core PTC capacity to prepare teachers in EGR and SRGBV prevention and develop plans for improving Core PTC capacity in those areas.
• Work with members of the Education Team and MoES/TETD/UNITE/KyU counterparts to ensure the alignment of EGR and prevention of SRGBV pre- and in-service training and professional development systems at the zonal level, including Grade 3 Primary Teacher Certificate programming, new Diploma in Primary Education (Inservice) and Bachelor of Primary Education (Preservice) degrees.
• In collaboration with UNITE and TETD, the Core PTCs, NTCs and technical specialists, support the field testing and revision of EGR and SRGBV pre-service curriculum and materials and provide training on use of the materials.
• Work closely with Core PTCs and NTCs to create action research networks and guide coaching of PTC faculty in EGR and SRGBV prevention through action research in demonstration schools.
• As required under the new UNITE degree programs, support the use of distance education modalities for training and support of Core PTC faculty and students.
• Participate in relevant training and professional development opportunities provided by the USAID ICYD Activity.
• Assist the ICYD M&E team in collecting and contextualizing results of relevant evaluations and operational research, synthesizing the results for internal and external audiences, and integrating the feedback into program planning and curriculum design.
• Enhance Community Mobilization Assistants’ (CMAs) skills of EGR and SRGBV prevention.
• Provide peer mentorship to Early Grade Reading Officers (EGROs) in EGR and SRGBV prevention.
• Directly support the implementation of EGR and SRGBV prevention in a number of primary schools that are within the ICYD intervention districts where the PTCs are located.
• Coordinate school activities with Preservice tutors and Coordinating Centre Tutors (CCTs).
• Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of project goals.
The candidate for the position of Pre-Service Development Officer shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree with 5 to 6 years of experience in early grade reading, SRGBV, or another pedagogically-oriented specialty.
• A minimum of 5 to 6 years of progressively responsible technical experience in EGR and prevention of SRGBV teacher training or pre-service programs in both English and Local Language.
• Experience in the development of curriculum, materials, and/or training for EGR and SRGBV prevention preferred.
• Knowledge of key skills needed for teaching foundational literacy and of recent research on most effective teaching practices in EGR and SRGBV.
• Experience in working with PTCs in Uganda required.
• Experience in training team members and counterparts using best practices in adult education.
• Demonstrated ability to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure.
• Knowledge of IT systems and ability to support implementation of distance education modalities for training and support.
• Knowledge of/experience with USAID-funded projects preferred.
• Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Lëb Acoli, and Lëbla?o is strongly preferred.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Click here to Apply