Legal Manager, Litigation and Recovery
Jobs at:Housing Finance Bank
Deadline of this Job:
21 May 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, May 14, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Oversee the implementation of legal action for delinquent portfolio of the Bank as guided by the bank’s policies and existing laws in order maintain the Bank’s asset quality in addition to managing the Bank’s litigation risk and Portfolio..
Key Result Areas
• Provide cost effective and timely legal advisory services and support to the Credit Recovery Function of the Bank in order to foster effective management of Regulatory and Litigation risk in the recovery of Non-Performing loans
• Develop, review and make recommendations on controls for the effective management of the Bank’s Litigation Risk Exposure.
• Oversee the conduct and resolution of the Bank’s Litigation cases by the External Lawyers in Courts of Law and other Alternative Dispute Resolution fora.
• Formulate and oversee the implementation of Legal action for non-performing loans to support recovery
• Supervise and oversee the conduct of due diligence on corporate customers in liaison with external lawyers in line with the Anti-Money Laundering Regulations and other applicable laws.
• Periodically review due diligence checklists and procedures and oversee the conduct of legal due diligence and compliance with regulatory requirements application to recovery action.
• Develop and implement measures for the effective management of service providers retained to support the litigation, recovery and corporate due diligence functions of the Department in line with their service level agreements.
• Prepare reports on litigation and Recovery cases for the consideration of the Credit Committee of Management.
• Oversee the safe custody of relevant litigation and recovery correspondences/files and ensure safe custody thereof.
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned by Management from time to time.
• Financial targets on non-performing assets/written off facilities.
• Financial targets on arrears collections as may be assigned
• Operational budget on Litigation and debt collection matters (within set budget)
Education & Training
• Bachelor of Laws degree from a recognised institution.
• Post Graduate Diploma in legal practice from the Law Development Center or such other institution recognised in Uganda.
Skills & Experience
• 4 years’ post qualification experience in a financial institution, preferably in a litigation and recovery related role.
• Thorough understanding of foreclosure and other processes for security realisation.
• Experience in management of debt collection agencies and legal services providers.
• Experience in management of NPA and recovery of written off facilities.
• Experience in negotiation and other methods of alternative dispute resolution.
• Ability to incorporate use of technology and digital methods/ avenues in execution of assignments.
• Specific experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams).
• High levels of integrity.
• Creative thinking and reasoned decision making.
• Willingness to learn new concepts and make quick adjustments.
• Excellent Customer Service
• Drafting and Research skills
• Effective Risk Management
• People and Team Orientation
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 48
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested candidates should hand deliver their applications with a recent CV, copies of all academic transcripts, certificates and testimonials, daytime telephone contact, postal and email address and three competent referees not later than Friday, 21st May 2021 by 5:00pm to:
Chief Human Resources Officer
Housing Finance Bank,
4 Wampewo Avenue, Kololo