Job Title: – International Trade Centre Jobs 2022 Associate Programme Officer
Organization: International Trade Centre
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Vacancy No: ITC/ICA/29/2022
Category/Grade: UNOPS – ICSC 9
International Trade Centre Profile:
The International Trade Centre is a multilateral agency which has a joint mandate with the World Trade Organization and the United Nations through the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. The headquarters of the ITC are in Geneva.
The position is based in Kampala, Uganda. The Associate Programme Officer reports to the project coordinator in Kampala, under the overall supervision of the project manager based at ITC HQ in Geneva. The focus of this position is on monitoring and evaluation, communication and coordination of activities with implementing partners and the donor agency.
The Strengthening Agribusiness Resilience and Competitiveness (STAR) project is financed by the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) and will be implemented by the International Trade Centre (ITC) from 2022 – 2026. The project is working towards increasing resilience to natural disasters and competitiveness of producers and micro, small and medium sized enterprises (MSMEs) in ten districts in Northern and North-Eastern Uganda. The project focuses on the cassava, shea and oilseed value chains and will work with all actors along the value chain for increased resilience and competitiveness of MSMEs.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The outcome will be achieved through the implementation of the following 4 outputs:
- Output 1: Capacity of producers and SMEs to become more competitive and resilient to natural disaster risks increased
- Output 2: Community based disaster risk management structures enhanced
- Output 3: Service offering of Business Support Organisations (BSOs) and other service providers to build SME natural disaster risk resilience and competitiveness improved
- Output 4: National strategies and policies to improve the natural disaster risk resilience and competitiveness of target agricultural value chains strengthened
- The project will adopt a gender-responsive approach to support the inclusion and increased benefits for women the value chains. By building partnerships with national institutions and service providers (private sector), the project creates lasting change within the business eco-system, enabling MSMEs to continue benefiting from trade beyond the time frame of the project.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator and in close collaboration with Project
Manager, the Associate Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Works with key clients to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analyzing and presenting statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
- Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Participates in survey initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, etc.; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.).
- Performs other duties as required.
Note – The selected candidate must be available for frequent duty travel to rural areas in the country.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business management, economics, environmental science, environmental engineering, international development or a related field.
- Note: A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum experience (nature, length and field of experience)
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience in project or programme management, administration or related area. Experience in climate resilience. Experience in agribusiness development.
- Experience working with development institutions and/or NGOs. Experience working with the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) projects would be an advantage.
- Advanced knowledge of English. Knowledge of Korean is an advantage.
- Critical job-specific competencies
- ITC core values: Professionalism, Integrity, Respect for Diversity
- Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to particular sector, functional area or other specialized field. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Commitment to Continuous Learning: Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve.
How To Apply for International Trade Centre Jobs 2022
All suitably qualified and interested applicants should apply online at the link below.
Closing Date: 15 th July 2022