Digital Transformation Intern
Jobs at:United Nations Development Programme
Deadline of this Job:
25 May 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UNDP works in about 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results.
UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries’ efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, which will guide global development priorities through 2030. The key 2030 Agenda principle of leaving no one behind and stamping out inequality is at the core of everything we do.
UNDP focuses on helping countries build and share solutions in three main areas:
• Sustainable development
• Democratic governance and peacebuilding
• Climate and disaster resilience
In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights and the empowerment of women, minorities and the poorest and most vulnerable.
The UNDP Strategic Plan 2022-2025 highlights the importance of digital as one of the key enablers to achieve UNDP’s mandate. UNDP’s Digital Strategy 2022-2025 builds upon the Strategic Plan and puts forth a vision whereby digital is an empowering force for people and the planet, in which the implementation of digital public goods is a strategic priority for enabling inclusive digital ecosystems globally.
UNDP’s digital transformation focuses on developing the organization’s capability to leverage existing, emerging and future digital technologies and the opportunities they offer to profoundly improve the way UNDP creates and delivers value and benefits for those we serve; UNDP’s recently finalized Digital Strategy 2022-2025 guides these efforts and builds off UNDP’s extensive range of digital initiatives spanning the country, regional, and global levels.
The position of Digital transformation Intern will be part of the team under the new Digitalisation, Innovation and Smart Cities Programme with a link to the UNDP Accelerator Lab.
III. INTERNSHIP OFFICE BACKGROUND:
The UNDP Executive Board approved UNDP Uganda’s Country Programme Document (CPD) for 2021-2025 in September 2020. The Country Programme cycle has prioritized catalytic digital transformation interventions through the Digitalization, Innovation and Smart Cities (DISC) Programme, to enable our integrated core programmes on governance and peace; nature, climate, energy and resilience (NCER); inclusive and sustainable growth (ISG) as well as the Country Office’s flagship programme on Youth for Development. The effective implementation of the DISC Programme is therefore a key success for the Country Office in 2022 and for the medium to long term.
Inspired by UNDP’s Digital Strategy, the DISC Programme aims to catalyze Uganda’s digital transformation goals in the country’s third National Development Plan (2021-2025) on increasing Information and Communication Technology (ICT) penetration and boosting the use of ICT services for social and economic development. The programme was co-designed with government, private sector and civil society to provide catalytic support to scale-up use of digital tools for online government and private sector services and drive-up digital content development and the growth of the ICT start-up ecosystem.
UNDP Uganda is seeking a digitally savvy Digital Transformation Intern with a career ambition in leading digital transformation. As an aspiring digital leader, you will have the knowledge, skills and passion to influence at every level, imparting your digital knowledge and skills in a constructive, empowering, and collaborative way. You will learn from other colleagues but also bring your knowledge of current digital trends to support colleagues change culture into one that will be required to truly transform the Country Office to a digital-first mindset.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Contribute to UNDP support Governments on the development of their national Digital Transformation strategies, including project management and operational implementation with specific countries.
• Support the ongoing development of products, tools and solutions to empower governments to implement practical initiatives that are inclusive of the whole of society.
• Other tasks as requested by the supervisor of the workstream area
Future Smart UNDP
• Work on business process redesign to ensure corporate processes enable digital programming at UNDP.
• Support the development and delivery of a digital-skills programme for all UNDP personnel.
• Help different UNDP CO unites to respond to and embrace market, regulatory, and process changes triggered by emerging digital technologies.
• Design and deliver some inhouse capacity building digital and data skills to expose UNDP personnel to new digital trends, thinking and knowledge.
• Support the activities to make UNDP a”data-driven organisation”.
• Keep track of partner engagement by attending meetings, following up on agreed actions, generating updates on recent developments, etc.
• Research into new potential partners including but not limited to technology companies, foundations, non-profits, alliances etc.
• Support partnership development by drafting concept notes, proposals, pitch decks, project documents, outreach materials and other documents.
• Mapping of global/regional/local partner ecosystem
• Provide inputs for ongoing external engagement as needed
Internal Digital Communication
• Support the communications team with content development, management, and updating of internal communication channels
• Support with the organization of internal webinars and events, and other collaborative workspaces including partner/community outreach through digital platforms
• Support the strategic planning of communication campaigns, including UN international days and corporate initiatives
Thought Leadership and Knowledge Management
• Support in primary research and/or content review on digital topics such as inclusive connectivity, digital inclusion, ethical technology, etc.
• Stakeholder mapping on the above topics at the global/regional/local level to understand the landscape both internally and externally
• Knowledge management by collecting and disseminating digital-related thought pieces produced across the organization
• Internal coordination on thought leadership work with other UNDP units
• Support thought leadership communications by developing digestible pieces (including but not limited to social media assets, blogs, talking points, briefing notes, etc.) from long knowledge products
• Support other/ad hoc activities as seen relevant and needed.
• Database management skills.
• Detail-oriented, preferably with previous administrative and office management experience.
• Eager to learn new things and gradually adapt the theory into practical work.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to deliver in a high-pressure environment
• Ability to handle complex situations and multiple responsibilities simultaneously, mixing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands.
• Ability to collaborate with and achieve actionable results
• Excellent ability to multi-task in a high-demand and fast-paced work context
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates must meet one of the following educational requirements:
• Currently in the final year of a Bachelor’s degree; or
• Currently enrolled in a Master’s degree; or
• Have graduated no longer than 1 year ago from a bachelor’s or master’s degree or equivalent studies.
• Interest/Experience in one of the workstream areas is desirable
Field of study: Information Technology, Digitalisation, or equivalent.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Use the link below to apply.