Consultancy - Rebuild Researcher
Deadline of this Job:
13 August 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 30, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Requisition ID: req19265
Job Title: Consultancy - Re:Build Researcher
Sector: Research & Development
Employment Category: Consultant
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kampala, Uganda
The IRC is currently implementing a five year urban livelihoods program: Refugees in East Afri-ca: Boosting Urban Innovations for Livelihoods Development (Re:Build). The Re:Build program is funded by the IKEA Foundation and is currently under implementation in Kampala (Uganda) and Nairobi (Kenya). The objective of Re:Build is to enable positive change in the lives of urban refugees and generate evidence of what works in designing livelihoods programs for urban refugees and their host communities. Our approach in delivering this objective is by identifying client-centered approaches and practices that have the potential of building economic self-reliance for the refugees and their host communities. We will continuously test effectiveness of these approaches, and regularly promote the findings through diverse platforms as a strategy for championing the cause of urban refugee with governments, donors, civil society and private sector to facilitate adoption of successful interventions at a large scale, with the aim of creating transformative opportunities for millions of people in East African cities and beyond.
Scope of Work
The IRC is seeking a Researcher, based in Kampala, for a short-term engagement to support the design, development, management and implementation of Re: Build’s research, learning and evidence generating activities implemented in Nairobi and Kampala.
The Researcher will;
• Initiate the process of securing ethics/IRB approvals for the Uganda and Kenya studies.
• Work closely with country teams to lay the groundwork for research implementation.
• Provide direct support in rolling out and managing in country research activities.
• Assist in developing research instruments, conducting data collection training, and monitoring research activity progress.
• Play a lead role in monitoring the quality of data collected and support data analysis.
• Report on research activities and support research planning activities
• Coordinate research activities and communication across the various actors involved in the re-search including country teams, project management team and academic partners.
• Participate in research design meetings to brainstorm research design ideas and ensure re-search design and implementation comply with ethical requirements and IRC research standards.
The Researcher will work closely with the Re:Build Deputy Project Director, the Research Practice Lead, the in-country senior research officers and the senior Technical Director for Economic Recovery and Development.
• PhD or Master’s degree in economics, social sciences, or related field
• PhD with 2-3 years or Master’s with 4-6 years of work experience in research on topics related to the humanitarian or development sector. Experience working with complex datasets and managing research projects.
• Language Skills: English required
• High degree of proven organizational and project management skills, with experience facil-itating groups of stakeholders to deliver high quality outputs according to established deadlines.
• Demonstrated qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis skills. Knowledge of STATA preferred
• Experience conducting research or managing research projects in humanitarian and/or de-velopment settings.
• At least one-year field research experience in humanitarian or low-resource setting, with demonstrated experience leading their own research.
• Experience training and supervising field teams, project management, and history of publi-cation of results
• Superior internal and external communication and coordination capabilities and capability to operate independently and as a team member. Excellent writing skills required.
• Experience in or knowledge of cash and/or voucher programs and livelihoods interventions and relevant research preferred.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 24
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Apply at: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/requisition/19265/application?c=rescue&jobboardid=0