Job Title: Food Inspection Advisor – WUSC Uganda Jobs 2022
Organization: World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
Duty Station: Uganda
World University Service of Canada (WUSC) Profile:
WUSC (World University Service of Canada) was founded in the 1920s as part of a global network that provided support to displaced students in post-war Europe. Since then, we have evolved into a Canadian global development organization working in over a dozen countries around the world that supports education, economic opportunities, and empowerment for youth, their families, and their communities.
Our vision is a better world for all young people. It is a more inclusive, equitable, and sustainable world in which all young people, especially women and refugees, are empowered to secure a good quality of life for themselves, their families, and their communities.
We work with a diverse network of students, volunteers, institutions, governments, and businesses to improve education, economic, and empowerment opportunities for young people.
Are you passionate about food safety? Do you have food processing inspection skills to share?
As the Food Inspection Advisor with Community Women Enterprise Network (CWEN) in Uganda, you will monitor the sanitary conditions of processing units and the health and hygiene habits of the individuals working there. You will also support in supervising the food handling process and prepare reports indicating the type and quantity of food inspected and also ascertain whether it meets consumption, marketing and storage standards.
Apply today to have a positive impact on women’s economic opportunities with CWEN!
Role and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Community Women Enterprise Network (CWEN) team to perform verification of compliance of food processing activities based on Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP), identify non-compliant areas and negotiate corrective actions.
- Support the CWEN team to ensure the products are fit for consumption and compliant with Uganda National Bureau of Standards (UNBS)
- Conduct periodic inspections of facilities, equipment, practices, etc to ensure food safety, security, and required sanitation systems and procedures are maintained in accordance with HACCP and other guidelines.
- Collaborate with CWEN team to provide training on food safety and sanitation systems guidelines and requirements
- Support CWEN to conduct regulatory sampling in food processing establishment to ensure compliance
- Support the team to conduct investigations related to food safety concerns in response to any complaints
- Inspect and accept/reject food ingredients on the basis of food safety requirements, as well as, regulatory standards, and internal requirements
- Use an intersectional lens to ensure the inclusion and participation of young women and other marginalized youth, as well as their representation, in all activities related to monitoring and evaluation
- Ensure that an environmental sustainability lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities (e.g. data collection tools, etc)
- Participate in pre-assignment training
- Participate in at least 3 public engagement initiatives before, during, or after the assignment. Volunteers will be equipped with the tools, training, and support to achieve these goals. Volunteers will also have one virtual check-in with the Public Engagement Officer throughout the course of their assignment.
- Ensure that a gender equality lens is consistently applied in the execution of all activities.
- Submit reports as required by the partner organization and by WUSC.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry, or agricultural science.
- Two years of experience in the area of food processing, storage, or receiving
- Strong math and organizational skills are a must, as is attention to detail.
How To Apply for WUSC Uganda Jobs 2022
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Closing Date: Open until filled