Deadline of this Job:
08 August 2021
Within Uganda , Uganda , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, July 23, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Wash Coordinator
Closing date: 8 Aug 2021
GOAL is currently seeking to hire a competent person to join our Uganda team. This is an exciting opportunity for you to join an extremely dynamic International NGO and to use your skills. If you are familiar with working within the international development aid sector and have a strong background in the areas mentioned, then you are the one we are looking for!
About the Role
GOAL is seeking a driven and proactive individual to work as WASH Coordinator to oversee the implementation of a portfolio of projects that focus on sustainable access to water and sustained improvements in hygiene and sanitation at the rural level. The WASH Coordinator is responsible for developing and evolving a systems-based WASH portfolio strategy, overseeing it’s successful implementation, managing existing donor relationships and proactively fundraising and developing resource mobilisation materials. The post holder will prioritise learning and evidence, capturing qualitative outcomes and encouraging critical thinking to drive forward the portfolio and improve the standard of our work and the sustainability of our impact.
Reporting to the ACDP, the WASH Coordinator will be responsible for ensuring that all projects under their portfolio are implemented to agreed parameters, workplans, results frameworks and budgets. They will also be asked to directly implement projects and pilots – coordinating between sub-teams under the WASH portfolio. They will be responsible for managing all partnerships and consultancies, ensuring donor and grant compliance and high quality reporting, and developing strong relations with WASH networks, implementing partners, government stakeholders, research partners and others at the national and international levels. The WASH Coordinator will be responsible for managing a team of technical staff, promoting growth and development through mentoring and coaching.
The position sits on GOAL Uganda’s Management Team and will contribute towards strategic planning, strengthening of programme design and implementation, communications, learning and monitoring and evaluation. The team is made up of a WASH Managers, WASH Officers (engineering and community engagement), a Water Quality Officer and more.
If you have experience in WASH, and are interested to explore innovative approaches to promoting sustainable access to water, including operations and maintenance for WASH in rural areas, this job will suit you. You will have an appreciation of the importance of behaviour change at all levels, be enthusiastic about relationship building – both internally and externally, understand and demonstrate efficiency and organisation, and excel at project and process management. Having an analytical mind, being open, transparent and collaborative will be essential to your role. Conducting your work to the highest level of integrity, and communicating and demonstrating GOAL’s values and behaviours will ensure you successfully deliver in this role.
The key responsibilities of the role will be:
• Portfolio strategic development
• Portfolio implementation and management
• Monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning
• External / internal representation and coordination
• Resource mobilisation
• Human resource management
To be successful in this role, you will need:
• University degree at Master level in Public Health, Environmental Health, Social Sciences, Business, Economics, Civil Engineering, Management or related discipline. Experience may substitute for qualifications, but not the other way around
• Minimum 3 years at a coordinator level, managing multiple projects and teams
• Minimum 5 years professional experience in managing complex WASH programming in developing countries, including strategic planning, grant and budget management
• Experience in developing WASH strategies and implementation plans at a portfolio level
• Experience in leading the implementation of both infrastructure and behaviour change oriented WASH projects and programming, with an understanding of technical principles and community engagement approaches for WASH such as CLTS and DRA
• Demonstrated experience in WASH proposal development and preparation of internal and donor reports
• Experience and understanding of key donor policies, guidelines and strategies, eg USAID, FCDO, UN, foundations
• Experience supervising and managing partners and staff from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences
• Experience in networking and coordination at the national and international levels
• Excellent writing, communication, organization, prioritization and negotiating skills
• Excellent (English) verbal and written communication skills
• Strong financial literacy and financial management skills
• Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office applications
Children and vulnerable adults who come into contact with GOAL as a result of our activities must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
• Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, code of conduct, health and safety, confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
• Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our Programmeming area.
• Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants who meet the requirements should submit their applications by email with at least 4 reference contacts (3 from the last three employers, and 1 character reference), please attach a copy of driving permit, and daytime contact number to;
The Human Resource Manager, GOAL Uganda: [email protected] indicating the title ‘WASH Coordinator' in the subject line by 9thAugust 2021. PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH CERTIFICATES.