Job Title: – War Child Holland Uganda Jobs 2021 Research Coordinator (STRETCH)
Organization: War Child Holland (WCH)
Duty Station: Kampala
Reports to: Program Manager in Uganda and functional management by the Researcher based in Amsterdam
War Child Holland (WCH) Profile
War Child Holland (WCH) is an independent and impartial international non-governmental organization, with programme offices in fourteen countries, investing in a peaceful future for children and young people affected by armed conflict. We strive to empower children and young people while enabling adults to bring about positive and lasting change in the lives of conflict-affected children and young people. In the WCH strategy 2016 – 2025, WCH’s Research and Development (R&D) department is responsible for the rigorous development and evaluation of a holistic, multi-level and interconnected care system with interventions focused on child protection, education and psychosocial support and supportive approaches enabling accessibility and quality.
About STRETCH Project: The intervention is an adaptable stigma reduction approach called STRETCH. STRETCH is developed based on literature research, informed by field research in DR Congo in 2018 and Lebanon in 2019 and is currently being improved based on online consultations. While existing stigma reduction interventions mostly focus on single stigmas such as HIV/AIDS or mental illness, STRETCH as an adaptable stigma reduction approach intends to be applicable to various stigmas and is based on the presumption that underlying stigma drivers and strategies are universally comparable. Contextualisation of STRETCH takes place through implementation. In the four phases of the intervention, strategies are applied towards multiple target groups; children and adolescents are a direct and indirect target group.
The main role is the coordination of all aspects of the implementation of research activities. Depending on the research, s/he will work in close collaboration with the Researcher STRETCH, based in Amsterdam with frequent travel to Uganda. Other direct contacts are the War Child Uganda staff, local partners (TPO-Uganda for STRETCH), local (academic) contributors and local communities. The RCs will also be part of the global R&D team.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- HR Function: Recruitment, selection, training of, and coordinating/managing a small local research team, including independent assessors and data entry assistants, in research methods and ethics, amongst others;
- Research implementation: Supervision and coordination of the tasks of the local research team including planning, logistics and transport, budget management, refresher training where required, data management (quantitative and/or qualitative), monitoring of progress and regular reporting to relevant stakeholders, and proactive problem-solving on barriers;
- Collaboration: alignment to the implementation of STRETCH, and the activities of the main partner;
- Ethics: Ethical protocol, ethical research implementation, including managing data collection, reporting and appropriately addressing adverse events triggered by research or the intervention;
- Analysis: Contribute to data analysis through support to data entry, cleaning, coding etc;
- Dissemination: Contribution to a dissemination strategy of the findings to the research participants and other stakeholders; ‘opportunity to join as a co-author on scientific outputs, including journal articles’;
- Representation: Represents WCH at local level i.e. government institutions, working groups, and coordination meetings.
- Research Logistics: Arrange project logistics through timely coordination with Finance and Logistics team in Kampala.
- There can be other tasks that are identified to benefit proper research implementation and advance the WCH research agenda.
Skills and Experience:
- The War Child Holland (WCH) Research Coordinator – STRETCH must hold a Masters level degree in relevant field (e.g. Psychology, Social Work, Nursing, Education, Public Health, Social Sciences)
- At least three years of experience in conducting qualitative field-based research with human research participants in a relevant field (e.g. psychosocial support or child protection)
- Experience in the supervision and training of research assistants
- Excellent communication skills in English (oral and written) and local language/s of Kyaka II refugee settlement such as French, Kiswahili, Kinyarwanda
- Ability to operate independently with remote supervision, as well as strong ability to work in a team
- Open-minded, eye for detail, demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and coordination skills.
- Ability to work with qualitative data analysis software
- Ability to be field-based (Kyaka II/ Kyegegwa)
- Experience with research for publication
- Existing relationship/liaison with a national university or experience collaborating with local research institutes
- Experience in donor reporting
How To Apply for War Child Holland Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: Open until filled
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise.