Job Title: Human Rights Officer – UN Volunteers Uganda Jobs 2021
Organization: UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Job Location: Kampala
UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) Profile:
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, commonly known as the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) or the United Nations Human Rights Office, is a department of the Secretariat of the United Nations that works to promote and protect human rights that are guaranteed under international law and stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948. The office was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 20 December 1993 in the wake of the 1993 World Conference on Human Rights.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assist in research and collection of information pertaining to human rights matters from a variety of data sources (e.g. communications, publications, the press) to keep abreast of issues/events and provide up-to-date information;
- Take part in the analysis of information, including the impact on the human rights situation.
- Assist in maintaining awareness of current human rights issues, to include relevant legal developments in the country.
- Assist in the implementation of an Office-wide strategy to promote the respect and protection of human rights in the country, and contribute in particular to the realization of Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) with special emphasis on SDG 3 on right to health;
- Take part in promoting initiative linked to supporting human rights promotion and protection, in collaboration with the existing civil society organizations (including NGOs) and UN agencies.
- Contribute to the establishment and maintenance of a strong network of human rights partners for the regular exchange of human rights information.
- Contribute to the drafting of regular reports on on-going and completed activities
- Assist in the organization and administrative arrangements of training activities and workshops.
- Participate in relevant meetings, seminars and workshops and prepare relevant meeting records.
- Ensure optimal uses of resources allocated for activity implementation.
Demonstrated interest and/or experience in human rights, political affairs, international relations, law or related area is required. Experience working with international human rights standards, instruments and mechanisms is an added advantage. Experience in human rights monitoring and reporting and/or in building capacity for the promotion and protection of human rights is desirable.
Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of another culture, (i.e. studies, volunteer work, internship) would be highly regarded.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Knowledge of human rights issues and ability to identify related problems in their political, ethnic, racial, gender equality and socio-economic dimensions.
Knowledge of institutional mandates of human rights organizations, prevailing policies and procedures.
Research and analytical skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of human rights issues.
Ability to identify sources for data collection, analyze information and draft human rights reports.
Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Accountability, Ethics and Values, Working in Teams
Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
How To Apply for UN Volunteers Uganda Jobs 2021
All interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications through the link below.
Deadline: 13th May 2021
No employer should ask you for money in return for advancement in the recruitment process or for being offered a position. Please contact us if it ever happens with any of the jobs that we advertise .