Technical Advisor WASH Infrastructure Design & Compliance
Jobs at:The GIZ ‘Sanitation for Millions’ (S4M) global programme
Deadline of this Job:
06 June 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The GIZ ‘Sanitation for Millions’ (S4M) global programme supports the Ministry of Water and Environment, Kampala Capital City Authority (KCCA), Urban Councils in Sub-Lango Region and other key actors in the water and sanitation sector in their efforts towards an improved and more equitable access to sustainable sanitation in urban areas. S4M promotes urban sanitation in partnership with KCCA, the Ministry of Water and Environment (MWE), utility organisations, civil society as well as other key partners in the sector. Sanitation for Millions is commissioned until May 2022 and it combines Infrastructure and attendant behavioral change support.Sanitation for millions started in 2017 with interventions around water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) in schools and health centers to address collective(institutional) sanitation and hygiene challenges first before moving into household sanitation and faecal sludge management. The infrastructure arm of the programme is spearheading construction of model WASH infrastructure at public institutions in Kampala and in small towns of northern Uganda. These construction measures are integrated with the accompanying capacity building measures for the institutions and the local authorities to improve operation & maintenance(O&M), hygiene practices and provision of an enabling environment. Promotion of standard emptiable sanitation facilities at household level as part of support to the sanitation chain in small towns is also being undertaken.
Number of vacancies: 1 Sector: Civil society Industry: NGO
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Excellent reporting skills
• Excellent written and oral command of the English language
• German language skills are an advantage
• Very good working knowledge of design and construction related ICT like ArchiCAD, AutoCAD and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Excel)
• Dynamic individual willing to travel extensively between different site locations in Kampala and Northern Uganda
• Openness to share information and knowledge (“communicator”)
• Team player in multi-cultural and inter-disciplinary team
• The Technical Advisor will be in charge of:
• Technical stewardship of design development for the infrastructural measures under the programme
• Coordinate processing of necessary authority approvals at all relevant stages of planning and design
• Support the supervision of construction measures including post construction monitoring
The Technical Advisor performs the following tasks:
• Develop planning and design concepts aligned with the programme infrastructure targets.
• Review of designs and tender document’s (preliminary designs and detailed designs) including all relevant documents (site plans, pre-design drawings, explanatory reports, land title documentations, building permissions, static drawings, specifications, BQs etc.).
• Control and documentation of implementation of construction and/or renovation activities (incl. review of progress reports, site inspections, etc.).
• Conduct pre-design and pre- construction site surveys to ensure compliance with set guidelines
• Monitoring and inspection of construction works in support of the field-based teams.
• Participate in steering meetings with relevant partners (e.g. Ministry of Water and Environment, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education and Sports, Local Government Authorities, partner CSOs, etc).
• Providing professional advice and coordination of Infrastructural planning, development and maintenance issues to local partners.
• Participate in knowledge transfer between GIZ Water and Sanitation programmes and regular exchange with the other stakeholders.
• Providing professional advisory services to other projects of the German Cooperation if need arises.
Other Duties/Additional Tasks
• Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
• Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Construction Management or Civil Engineering
• Details of experience
• Minimum of 5 years of hands-on professional working experience physical infrastructure design and supervision related field.
• Good knowledge of and application of computer aided design and standards for physical infrastructure in Uganda.
• Basic knowledge of local and international WASH stakeholders and networks.
• Practical experience of not less than 4 different infrastructure design and management projects working with reputable consulting firm(s).
• Past experience on infrastructure projects with infection prevention control emphasis will be an advantage.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by email to [email protected] . Applications and CVs should be in one document and a maximum of 5 pages only. Please include name and contact of three references in the CVs. Please quote the position and reference number in the subject line. Applications should be received by 5.00pm on the 6th June 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline: 2021-06-06