Supply Chain Management Specialist (Logistics/Assets/HSSE)
Jobs at:The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS)
Deadline of this Job:
25 April 2021
Within Uganda , Entebbe , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, April 12, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job categories- Procurement
Vacancy code- VA/2021/B5001/21560
Department/office- NYSC, Peace and Security Cluster
Duty station- Entebbe, Uganda
Contract type- International ICA
Contract level- IICA-2
Duration Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance.
Application period – 09-Apr-2021 to 25-Apr-2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Peace and Security Cluster
The UNOPS Peace and Security Centre (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Centre is responsible for providing support and oversight of the day-to-day management of project field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the cluster director, who maintains overall authority and accountability for the performance of the PSC on behalf of its clients.
The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) established a regional support office, the Entebbe Support Office (ESO) in November of 2016. This office provides regional support to UNMAS programmes based in the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, and the Abyei Administrative Area. The areas of support include Procurement & Contracts Management, Logistics, Human Resources and Finance. .
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE TO APPLY.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Support Services (HoSS) and in collaboration with the Procurement Officer, the Supply Chain Management Specialist (SCMS) will be responsible for effective delivery of assets management, logistics in order to obtain the best value for money. The incumbent shall also facilitate compliance with UNOPS Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) systems and provide advice on preventive measures needed in order to minimize harm resulting from various hazards. The incumbent will be required to travel frequently to provide support to all the projects supported by ESO currently these include but are not limited to UNMAS DRC, UNMAS South Sudan and UNMAS Abyei (Sudan/South Sudan) within the Mission’s Area of Operation (AoO). The SCMS will be focusing on performing the following functions:
A. Logistics and Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE)
• Develop logistics plan and to improve the business performance in terms of efficiency, profitability, management, structure and strategy.
• Perform quantitative and qualitative analysis to improve the overall supply chain and logistics strategy and operations in order to maximize the process efficiency and productivity.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive and streamlined logistics system that operates in accordance with ESO Logistics procedures. Contribute to the supply chain efficiency by providing technical support to other departments, particularly for shipping of goods and cargo movements.
• Develop, review and monitor the implementation of the health, safety, social and environmental (HSSE) management plans for regional programmes in line with UNOPS policies and act as HSSE focal point as required. Raise awareness on health and safety issues among project staff, contractors and other stakeholders. Ensure inspections are carried out in line with agreed plans and support progress against HSSE objectives and targets. Lead on all reporting requirements including on incident reports and investigations. Carries out analysis on incidents for identifying improvement plans and strategies
• Coordinate with partners, project teams, suppliers and transport companies to ensure a complete supply chain process.
B. Assets management and warehousing
• Manage the existing asset management and accounting system for all UNOPS managed equipment and properties in accordance with UNOPS asset management policy and UNOPS PSC Asset Management SOP.
• Ensure databases of assets and inventory are up to date on the quantity, quality, serviceability, and location of relevant equipment/items.
• Ensure that each project team prepares/maintains and updates on the project inventory list as well as certifies the physical check/working conditions of all project equipment. Support projects with project assets disposals as required both administratively and physically
• Maintains and manages receiving, warehousing, and distribution operations. Keep track of quality, quantity, stock levels, delivery times and efficiency. Plan and oversee the movement of cargo in and out the warehouse to the regional programmes.
• Ensure that the office premises are maintained and necessary repairs and maintenance are carried out in a timely and safely manner.
C. Transport and Fleet Management
• Manage the office vehicles and transportation service to ensure punctual transportation service is provided to the staff, UNOPS visitors and high officials on mission.
• Conduct analysis and identify improvements of fleet management to ensure optimal utilization, availability, fuel consumption and maintenance.
• Performs any other duties as and when assigned by the supervisor.
D. Knowledge management
Develop and organize training for logistics personnel on proper management and record keeping in the areas of warehouse management, logistics, fleet management, facility management and health and safety.
Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in logistics; assets management and health and safety
Sound contributions to knowledge networks and focus on the capacity building of the regional logistics teams and HSSE focal points.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall efficiency of the logistics and assets management and success in introduction and implementation of operational strategies. Strategic approach to logistics management, effective and efficient support, and timely and appropriate delivery of services ensure client satisfaction and overall effective delivery of UNOPS programmes and projects.
* CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!
* QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY!
Advanced Degree (Master degree or equivalent) with five years of relevant experience OR
A First University degree (Bachelor degree or equivalent) with seven years of relevant experience is required.
b. Work Experience
Relevant experience is defined as experience in supply chain management, logistics or asset management
Experience in the usage of Inventory Database/Software or ERP is desired
Experience in Health, Safety, Social and Environmental Management including Health and Safety risk assessments, inspections and incident investigation is desired
Fluency in English (Reading, Writing and Speaking) is required
Knowledge of French is desired
The position is based in Entebbe, Uganda a Family duty station.
• Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
• Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
• Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
• Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
• Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
• For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
• The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement (IICA)
Contract level: IICA-2 (ICS-10)
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply, go to: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=21560#6