Special Needs Teacher
Jobs at:Autism Care Uganda (ACU)
Deadline of this Job:
27 January 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Position – Special Needs Teacher
Department & Location- Education Services
Location : Kampala, Uganda
Start Date – 1st February 2022
Reports to: Executive Director
Autism Care Uganda (ACU) is a parent-led organization that seeks to provide support to parents of children with Autism. The Center runs different programs including therapy like speech therapy, occupational therapy, providing early appropriate and professional diagnosis, education and evidence based interventions. We give them information about Autism and help them interact with other parents with autistic children. The center also has a charity shop where different toys and aids are used to support children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
We are seeking a Special Needs Teacher to create, develop and maintain a high quality educational environment for children with special needs, specifically children with Autism. We are looking for someone who is ambitious for all the children to achieve positive outcomes to provide support, advice and teaching for pupils with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) within both the new ASD Center and mainstream school with direct teaching, consistent with the main duties and responsibilities of the post.
Duties and Key result areas
• Assess students’ abilities and craft teaching plans
• Monitor children’s behavioral patterns and arrange appropriate interventions if needed
• Assist and inspire children to achieve important learning milestones.
• Find engaging activities to teach skills (e.g. arts)
• Adapt learning materials to students’ needs
• Keep track of and reflect on students’ progress
• Manage classroom crises and resolve conflict
• Prepare students for transition to the next level
• Inform parents about their children’s performance and potential problems
• Coach/mentor other professionals who work with children with special needs
• Collaborate with the support staff (including social office, therapists, health workers and the management) to create holistic intervention plans
• Knowledge, Skills and Behaviors Required to Achieve Roles
The following essential skills are required for the candidate:
• Diploma or Degree in Special Needs and Inclusive Education.
• Experience working with children with a wide range of disabilities for a minimum period of 2 years.
• Ability to create Individualized Education Programs
• A patient, resourceful, and resilient personality
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• A team player with the ability to work well with others
• An enthusiastic personality
The duties and responsibilities highlighted in this Job Description are indicative and may vary over time. Post holders are expected to undertake other duties and responsibilities relevant to the nature, level and extent of the post and the grade has been established on this basis.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Applicants can send in their Cover Letters and Resume to [email protected]