Senior Technical Program Manager
Jobs at:GiveDirectly (GD)
Deadline of this Job:
30 July 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
We believe technology will play a critical role in enabling the next generation of cash delivery operations: from identifying recipients without needing to knock on doors to a modern payments infrastructure that gets dollars in recipients’ hands faster and more scalably. We are seeking a senior technical program manager responsible for leading a team that designs and implements our data systems for enrolling and paying recipients.
You will lead a portfolio of tech builds to launch new programs: working with our operations team to define and implement program requirements for data collection and cash delivery, project managing the implementation across multiple stakeholders from different cultural backgrounds, and analyzing, structuring, and acting on program data. You are a systems thinker who is comfortable assessing risks and weighing short- and long-term tradeoffs. You love systematically picking apart complex issues to get to the root cause and drive fixes. You have the technical expertise to both get your hands dirty writing database queries and to make well reasoned decisions on high-level problems that impact multiple workstreams. You are excited to grow a team, from hiring to coaching to figuring out systems and practices that can deliver high quality while scaling rapidly.
• Partner with our field operations team to scope and operationalize new cash delivery program launches, helping GiveDirectly to reach more people across more geographies
• Lead a team of data coordinators, data associates, and technical program managers who build, manage, and implement the technology used to deliver those program launches, from surveys for enrolling recipients to the data model used to store data about payments in Salesforce (our central recipient data store), including being hands-on with implementation where needed
• Prioritize among a portfolio of project launches and negotiate timelines across functions to manage capacity within the team
• Scope and assess potential new projects from a technical perspective to inform strategic direction
• Build a strong team culture rooted in GiveDirectly’s values
• Drive the rapid growth of our team, which has doubled each of the last three years, including recruitment, onboarding, and designing systems and practices to scale
• Design and implement cross-cutting systems improvements to improve efficiency, scale, and/or recipient experience
• Debug and resolve issues across multiple layers of our technology stack, including Salesforce and our offline data collection app
• Develop and manage reporting of key metrics tracking field operations and payments
We’re looking for candidates with:
• Fluency in English
• At least 5 years of professional experience (we welcome a range of skill sets and backgrounds; related fields could include product management, data analytics, software engineering, project management, program management, international development, or management consulting)
• Experience owning technical decisions when there isn’t a predefined “playbook”: evaluating novel technologies, designs, and risks
• Experience scaling and leading a team and building a team practice of structured problem solving, drive to fix root causes, and high attention to detail
• Experience writing code to manipulate data such as Python or R
• Deep comfort with Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets
• Experience managing timelines, operational risk, stakeholders, and complex deliverables across multiple workstreams
• Ability to collaborate inclusively with stakeholders across varied social, national, and cultural backgrounds, including communicating technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
• Bonus but not required: experience working with relational databases (e.g. SQL)
• Bonus but not required: expertise in data visualization
• Bonus but not required: fluency in Arabic, Spanish, French, Swahili, Portuguese, or Kinyarwanda
• Exceptional alignment with GiveDirectly Values and active demonstration of our core competencies: emotional intelligence, problem solving, project management, follow-through, and fostering inclusivity. We welcome and strongly encourage applications from candidates who have personal or professional experience in the low-income and/or historically marginalized communities that we serve.
Why work at GiveDirectly?
At GiveDirectly, we work to ensure that you have everything you need to excel in your role and on your team, including:
• A positive and supportive team with opportunities for advancement
• A demonstrated commitment to helping all staff develop and grow
• A competitive salary
• A monthly benefits allowance that covers Health, Dental, and Vision monthly premiums
• Unlimited PTO (that we encourage staff to take!)
• Desk allowance and flexible work location
GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Job application procedure
How to apply
• Apply now
• All applications and resumes must be submitted in English.