Senior International Research Manager
Jobs at:Restless Development
Deadline of this Job:
03 January 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About Restless Development.
We know young people have the power to solve the challenges we face in our world, but they are being sidelined. We are the agency that works with young people so they can lead in solving those challenges. Whether that means supporting communities to end child marriage or prevent HIV, we work with young people to change their lives and the lives of people in their communities. Our programmes are genuinely life-changing, but we can’t do any of this without talented, creative individuals at every level of our organisation.
About the Role.
Central to our strategy is our youth-led research approach. Our methodology not only strengthens young people as leaders, and informs national and global agendas, but is also fundamental to shifting power – ensuring young people are recognised as experts and can own knowledge.
In the last 10 years we’ve grown our portfolio, partnerships and impact of our youth-led research. We’ve run a Youth Think Tank across Africa and worked with young people across the world. Recent research includes:
• Leading the biggest youth-led study on global education since the Covid-19 pandemic hit, funded by Dubai Cares
• Youth-led research on the impact of the climate crisis in Uganda, funded by the British Academy
• Youth-led research on the impact of global heating on health in Zimbabwe, funded by the Wellcome Trust
• Research on youth resilience, and the impact of Covid-19 (using qualitative journals) in Nepal and Indonesia, funded by the Asia Development Bank
• And global research on the state of youth civil society (to be published next year)
We are looking for a Senior Research Manager to lead and grow our research portfolio in line with the Restless Development strategy. Essential to this role is:
• Participatory, community-led research expertise: You must have a track record of developing and carrying out research in local communities. We’re looking for someone inclusion-focused who will continue to test, strengthen and develop our research methodologies.
• Academic rigour & methodology: Our research is often in partnership with academic institutions and funders – Cambridge University and Makerere University amongst others. We’re looking for someone who has a track record of working in research institutions and/or with researchers/academics, to ensure we keep an eye on academic rigour and to enable the research to be published.
• Research development and management: This role will be responsible for the oversight of fast-paced, high performing grants and contracts, but also developing new proposals.
• Global Team Leader: We’re looking for someone to lead and inspire the team but also ensure our research work is plugged into the agency both at Hub and through our leadership teams. We’re looking for someone committed to our global team and vision, and committed to values and culture.
Essential skills and experience
• Postgraduate research qualification, or equivalent level of knowledge gained through training and experience, including a focus on qualitative methods
• Experience as a professional researcher in a relevant field, including leading community-based, participatory research
• Experience designing and leading delivery of community-led research projects, ideally in multiple locations
• Both strong qualitative and quantitative research skills – covering design and analysis
• Strong written and oral communication skills, including a demonstrable ability to translate complex concepts, analysis and findings into understandable, clear and accessible information for diverse audiences
• Experience working with research institutions
• Experience training and managing other researchers (including volunteers)
• A good understanding of current development issues particularly those related to youth leadership and youth civil society
• Commitment to inclusion, empowerment and justice, with expertise or eagerness to learn the latest from gender and racial justice practice
• Commitment to the mission, vision and values of Restless Development
Desirable skills & experience
• Knowledge in Restless Development’s thematic focus areas, including Livelihoods and education; Climate Change; Sexual rights and gender; and governance and accountability
• Expertise in gender, inclusion and/or intersectionality
• Written published research, ideally for an academic audience
• Experience of using qualitative analysis software
• Experience in developing new partnerships and contributing to business development
• Line Management or leadership experience
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Please send a completed application form to [email protected] by 3rd January 2022. Please note that we do not accept CVs, resumes or covering letters.
First round interviews are scheduled to take place during the week commencing 10th January 2022. Second round interviews will follow.