Risk and Compliance Manager
Jobs at:Education Development Center (EDC)
Deadline of this Job:
22 October 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: Risk and Compliance Manager – Education Development Center
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work. EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/OVC’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Risk and Compliance Manager (RCM) will work under the direction and guidance of the home office Internal Audit Director and in collaboration with the field office management and technical teams. The RCM will ensure that effective internal controls are in place and functioning to safeguard the use of all ICYD resources including financial, material and human resources. The position will also mitigate the risk of fraud and misuse of project funds and assets; ensure compliance with the P&P, EDC policies, USAID regulations, and Uganda laws & regulations; and improve and strengthen the overall financial, operational and human resource management. The RCS will also work closely with the team overseeing the management of sub-grants. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
The Risk and Compliance Manager will undertake, but not be limited to, the following essential functions:
Risk and Compliance Management
• Working closely with EDC’s Internal Audit Director, develop, implement, and monitor a risk-based internal audit and compliance program focused on project activities.
• Provide objective and professional review of the extent of implementation of EDC policies and procedures.
• Review and report on the current degree of compliance exercised by the USAID ICYD Activity with regard to EDC’s policies and procedures manual as well as USAID rules and regulations.
• Periodically assess the quality of procurement, finance, human resources and monitoring and evaluation record keeping and archiving. Advise and provide written recommendations for improvements in record keeping practices for audit readiness.
• Recommend improvements for effective internal control mechanisms and ensure adherence to the Uganda Country Handbook and the ICYD Policies and Procedures Manual, and Government of Uganda Laws and Regulations
• Develop a risk matrix and compliance management workplan. Regularly test internal controls and follow up on risk matrix findings to improve the control environment and reduce risks of noncompliance and fraud.
• Conduct internal audit reviews and ensure that recommendations from the resulting audit reports are implemented timely.
• Assist EDC’s Director of Corporate Compliance with external audits to ensure timely responses to requests and update management on issues raised by auditors during an audit.
• Train and support the USAID ICYD team on compliance with all donor requirements including PEPFAR reporting, and Government of Uganda laws and regulations.
• Develop an effective Compliance & Ethics training program inclusive of fraud prevention, whistleblower policy, conflict of interest, and USAID rules and regulations. Lead the process of policy changes/updates to be included in the onboarding trainings as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers
• Stay abreast of donor policies, procedures, rules and regulations, host country legal requirements, and inform local and global management of significant changes and regularly update project management and the Internal Audit Director.
• Participate, as an observer, in the procurement committee for large procurements; review the entire process from RFQ to Purchase Order and ensure that all rules are properly followed and documented.
• Brief the Project Management Team on the status of ongoing compliance activities and raise any concerns, risks and recommend mitigation measures.
• Provide a semiannual status update to the field management team, the Project director, and the Internal Audit Director on the implementation of action plans resulting from reviews and audit findings.
• Assist with the assessment, selection, and evaluation of sub-awardees to ensure any potential risk with the organization is identified and mitigated.
• Ensure appropriate due diligence is carried out on all potential sub-grantees, including financial and operational capacity assessment.
• Carry out periodic checks on a sample of USAID ICYD’s grantees for compliance with financial reporting, requirements of the grant manual and subgrant agreement, USAID rules and regulations and internal controls. Recommend and document improvements as needed.
• Participate in subrecipient audits and assist with follow-up and closure of audit findings.
• Contribute to ICYD Activities Sub-recipient’s management capacity including provision of input to manuals, guidance, policies, procedures and training where applicable
• Perform other relevant duties as required by the supervisor.
Education and Certification:
• Master’s degree in the area of finance, audit, accounting or any related field required.
• Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or equivalent highly desirable
Skills and Experience
• A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in a donor funded projects including 5 years’ experience with a USAID funded project in areas of financial compliance, audit, internal audit, accounting, and risk management is required;
• Strong knowledge of USAID regulations and policies, and the Government of Uganda tax and employment laws;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Able to prepare effective presentations and reports leading to changes in practice;
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of professionals;
• Proficiency in online accounting software, especially QuickBooks;
• Willingness to travel to regions covered by the project as needed.
Job closing date: October 22, 2021
Applications submitted without a resume or CV will not be reviewed.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This announcement is made possible by the support of the American People through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The contents of this notice are the sole responsibility of Education Development Center, Inc. (EDC) and do not necessarily reflect the views of USAID or the United States Government.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Click here to Apply Now