Research Medical Officer
Jobs at:Infectious Diseases Institute
Deadline of this Job:
05 September 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) is a Ugandan not-for-profit organization whose mission is to strengthen health systems in Africa, with strong emphasis on infectious diseases, through research and capacity development. IDI has six operational areas through which it works to achieve its mission: Prevention, Care and Treatment; Training, Research, Laboratory services (including the CAP-certified IDI Core Lab & Translational Lab), Global Health Security and Health System Strengthening. IDI wishes to recruit a motivated and competent individual to fill the vacancy below:
Job Title: Research Medical Officer
Vacancy Code: RMO X001
Classification: Fixed term (full time)
Reporting: Study Coordinator
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Background: The IDI Research Program has received a grant funded by UNITAID through University of Liverpool to conduct research on the use of dolutegravir-based antiretroviral treatment in late pregnancy and during breastfeeding. IDI is conducting two observational studies (TRIO and DolPHIN 2 PLUS) to improve understanding of the dolutegravir-based antiretroviral therapy for prevention of mother to child transmission and to understand the effect of exposure to these drugs on neurodevelopmental outcomes in young children.
The medical officer is a key member of the clinical team within the study team. The overarching task is to provide clinical care and collect relevant research information.
Person specifications (Essential skills & qualities)
• Full and up-to-date registration with the Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioner’s Council
• Minimum of one years’ research experience
Desirable skills & qualities
• Excellent working knowledge of Good Clinical Practice and applicable regulations
• Ability to communicate well with patients and their care-givers
• A self-starter with leadership, supervisory and negotiation skills
• Self- motivated, innovative and capable of meeting deadlines
• Excellent organisational skills and flexibility
Major roles & responsibilities
• Clinical management of study participants: Responsible for ensuring participants receive appropriate care and medical evaluations.
• Ensure participant safety evaluation, monitoring and reporting: Alerting the PIs and sponsors of any serious adverse events that may occur in the course of the study.
• Identify participants’ problems and assist in formulating mitigating plans.
• Study documents completion.
• Specimen or sample collection.
• Participate in study document quality control.
• Develop recruitment and retention plans, ensures that the recruitment and follow-up goals of the study are met.
• Performs any other duties that may be reasonably necessary for carrying out the study protocol as directed by the Principal Investigator.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 12
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Candidates that meet the above criteria and have what it takes to excel in these position should send their CVs, including details of email address, present position, current remuneration, Certificate/testimonials and address of three (3) Referees plus telephone contact not later than 05th September 2021. Please follow this link https://idi.mak.ac.ug/hrms to apply for this position.
1. IDI is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge a recruitment fee or any other fees at any stage of the recruitment process
2. Internal candidates who meet the required specifications and have worked with IDI for a period of at least one year will be given priority.
3. Make sure that your application letter, CV and certificates are attached as one document
4. Indicate the Vacancy Code as the subject for your email
5. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
6. Any form of canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Senior Human Resource Manager
Infectious Diseases Institute — IDI Knowledge Centre, Makerere University Main
Campus; College of Health Sciences, Makerere University
P.O. Box 22418, Kampala, Uganda