Based in Mannheim, Germany, the Center for Evaluation and Development’s vision is to improve the lives of the poor and vulnerable by making development interventions more effective. With a strong focus on mixed-methods and quantitative impact evaluations in developing countries, C4ED is one of the leading German research centers in the areas of poverty reduction, microfinance, health insurance, education, humanitarian assistance, and nutrition. C4ED is currently conducting projects all over the world and maintains research relationships with 3ie, GCF, IFAD, ILO, IPA, J-PAL, the World Bank, and UNICEF among others.
C4ED has recently opened a foreign subsidiary in Uganda, the Deutches Center for Evaluation and Development, and is looking to hire a qualitative research manager. The office is based in Gulu but travel to data collection areas will be required.
This position is open to persons with the right to work in Uganda. You will be asked to verify this as part of the interview process. Female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
This position is line managed by a Senior Research and Evaluation Manager based in Mannheim.
As a qualitative research manager you will be involved in designing, managing, and conducting qualitative data collections as well as data analysis for humanitarian and development evaluations in Uganda and elsewhere in the region.
You have a graduate or postgraduate degree in social sciences (e.g. anthropology, sociology, psychology), international development or a related field with extensive training and experience in qualitative data collection and analysis. You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and experience with report writing. You are detail-oriented, adept at multitasking and can work under pressure. Experience with working in projects is desirable. Knowledge of software used for qualitative analysis (e.g. MAXQDA, NVivo) is required and familiarity with statistics is desirable.
- Academic qualifications of at least a Bachelor’s degree in a social science discipline; Masters preferred. Familiarity with statistics is desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in research, development, or humanitarian organizations.
- At least 3 years of experience with qualitative research using methods such as interviews, focus groups, participatory rural appraisal.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and report writing skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage teams remotely
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Experience using MaxQDA, Nvivo, or other similar programs for qualitative data collection
- Written and spoken fluency in English required; working knowledge of other local languages is expected