World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: Programme Manager – UNICEF
Report to: Operations Manager
Location: Adjumani District
Purpose of the position:
Program Manager- UNICEF will provide technical and managerial leadership to the implementation of World Vision West Nile UNICEF funded project on Protection from Violence, Abuse and Exploitation and access to Early Learning and for Children in Refugee and Host Communities in Adjumani and Yumbe districts.
Leadership, networking and coordination:
- Work with resource development unit and sector staff to respond to UNICEF annual expression of interest, drive the proposal design process and subsequent negotiations to ensure sustained funding for refugee response activities in refugee response
- Responsible for day to day engagement with UNICEF Field offices, OPM and other NGOs on all aspects of UNICEF activity implementation to ensure interventions are aligned to the CRRF, ReHOPE and other GOU policies
- Ensure WV is represented in all sector coordination meetings relevant to the World Vision areas of work with UNICEF and ensure feedback from sector working group meetings and Inter-agency coordination meetings directly feeds into World Vision work among the refugees and host communities
- Establish strong and reliable networks with OPM, UN and all NGOs responding to refugee needs in the WNRR to ensure integration of implementation at all levels.
- Coordinate with INGOs, Districts and the UN through inter-agency meetings and bilateral discussions on all matters related to the UNICEF project to ensure project interventions are informed by existing gaps across all the districts for increased impact.
- Ensure timely response to SO questions and requests in regard to ongoing projects
Performance management and supervision
- Ensure 100 % staff are recruited and oriented for all projects under your management
- Ensure all staff under your projects have JDs, contracts, performance agreements and all other statutory documents.
- Hold monthly conversations with your direct reports and ensure same is cascaded to entire project teams
- Hold quarterly performance review meetings for your team and their direct reports.
- Manage, supervise and build capacity of staff in project development, management and implementation especially in humanitarian emergency response, CiE and other related project activities.
- Identify staff capacity, psychosocial and other needs, and work with P&C to ensure needs are met
- Facilitate coaching, mentoring and counseling sessions for staff within the programme.
- Ensure project start up meetings take place within 30 days of project start
- Provide leadership in the development of project detailed implementation plans (DIP), project management tools, procurement plans and cash flow forecast to facilitate implementation of the projects under your management in accordance with existing project designs.
- Provide management and technical oversight/guidance to project staff in the identification of refugee and host communities’ children in need of protection services in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in monthly finance review meetings in close collaboration with finance team.
- Organize regular meetings with project teams to review project progress and performance.
- Ensure project closeout plans in place and being implemented 3 months before project end date
- Work closely with CPiE technical specialists at the Response and National Office to support the roll out of project models, designs, training, campaigns, consultancies and approval of technical works, monitoring, supervision and certification of project activities
- Effectively provide supervision and enhance capacity of project staff and partners to implement project interventions to expected standards.
Monitoring and Evaluation.
- Lead UNICEF and Inter-agency joint monitoring and project reviews and ensure all feedback is well addressed to improve project impact.
- Compile and submit quality progress reports, monthly, quarterly and end of project reports and submits them to programs for onward submission to the donor
- Prepares weekly and monthly situational reports
- Coordinate regular reviews and reflections on progress of the project at the districts and regional levels.
- Ensure project plans are effectively implemented, monitored and progress reports shared. This will include effective finance/budget management. Track all project indicators using the ITT to ensure all project outputs, outcomes and impact is realized
- Document and share project best practices and lessons learned during implementation including action research, case studies and documentaries.
- Maintain tight budgetary control over all UNICEF and other project budgets and ensure compliance with the PCA. Approves all cost in line with approved budgets and donor regulations
- Work with finance to submit cash request to the donor and ensure funds are available for implementation; provide monthly cash flow projection to WV Kampala against the approved budgets
- Carries out regular financial reviews with relevant sector staff, programs and Finance
- Reviews all project financial reports and transaction listings to ensure only relevant cost are charged and supports finance department in preparation of accurate financial reports
- Prepares and Maintain UNICEF project risk matrix and inventory of all project assets
- Point person for UNICEF project annual audit and provides responses to all queries related to UNICEF funding implementation
Resource mobilization and project development
- Provide overall leadership, management, guidance and engagement with strategic partners to ensure the development of quality project designs, concepts and fundable proposals for CiE activities
- Carry out assessments as required in the response area
- Review humanitarian emergency response projects’ documents and align them to set guidelines and standards.
Any other business as assigned by supervisor including participation in key committees and task forces
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
- Degree in Social sciences, Development Studies, Gender Studies or related field.
- Experience: At least 5 years’ experience in Emergency/humanitarian work managing UN or government grants.
- Technical skills: Strong advocacy and understanding of protection needs of children in Emergencies, experience in project planning and management, strong understanding of child protection systems, case management, community based child protection, psychosocial care and support, are added advantage. Self-motivated with excellent leadership and time management skills.
- Experience in Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Track record of success in grant fundraising, including donor relations and proposal writing.
- Proactive personality, self-driven and strongly motivated.
- Capacity/potential in leadership, relationship management/networking, and coordination.
- Spiritual maturity, interfaith knowledge and a biblical worldview – ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
- Good interpersonal skills, strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Programme Management skills
- Proven conceptual & analytical skills, ability to take an evidence-based approach to programme design.
- Proven facilitation skills.
- Team player.
- Ensure a gender perspective in the scope of work.
- Ability to delegate tasks,
- Ability to act under pressure,
- Team building and problem solving capacities
- Must be ready to work in a multi-cultural environment and have the ability to maintain performance expectations in the diverse cultural context, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
- Possess the ability to work with different partners, local authorities, local organizations and NGOs, to develop and maintain positive relationships.
- Ability to exhibit exemplary lifestyle as interpreted in specific local cultural context.
- Be emotionally mature with physical stamina.
Position is based in a field office