Jobs at:UNDP Uganda
Deadline of this Job:
24 May 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNCDF is the UN’s capital investment agency for the world’s 47 least developed countries. With its capital mandate and instruments, UNCDF offers “last mile” finance models that unlock public and private resources, especially at the domestic level, to reduce poverty and support local economic development.
UNCDF strategy ‘Leaving no one behind in the digital era’ is based on over a decade of experience in digital finance in Africa, Asia and the Pacific. UNCDF recognizes that reaching the full potential of digital financial inclusion in support of the Sustainable Development Goals aligns with the vision of promoting digital economies that leave no one behind. For further detail on UNCDF strategy, refer to; https://www.uncdf.org/article/4931/global-strategy-leaving-no-one-behind-in-the-digital-era.
Since 2013, UNCDF has been implementing a market development approach on digital finance in Uganda. With the support of the Sweden Development Agency (SIDA), UNCDF will execute the “Leaving no one behind in the digital era” strategy in country until 2024 under the “Connect” Rural Uganda Programme. The Programme has the aim to develop an inclusive digital economy in Uganda with a specific focus at empowering rural communities, smallholders’ farmers, agri-business and refugees – to lead productive and healthy lives, by expanding access and usage of digital services.
The main expected outcomes of this new initiative include:
• Rural community members in Uganda (smallholders’ farmers, agri-business & refugees) have the knowledge, skills and behaviors needed to access and use digital services. They have better access to training and education through digital channels;
• New business models and technologies for delivering services are scaled for rural communities in the education, health, finance, agriculture and energy sector;
• Rural community members have improved access to and increasingly use digital payment accounts;
• The Government of Uganda implements policies that enable access and usage of digital services.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures administration and implementation of programme strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Support with protocol matters and travel arrangements (i.e. airline tickets, visas, hotels, daily subsistence allowance, work permit);
• Assist in the preparation of various materials and other reports; handle arrangement for printing and translation as necessary;
• Provides support to the office with logistical arrangements related to training/workshops/conferences etc., through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts and identifying the most cost-efficient meeting venue options;
• Manage petty cash.
• Maintains inventory of office items;
• Ensures that services and maintenance of premises and equipment are in accordance with organizational standards;
• Monitors and arrange for vehicle transportation, regular vehicle maintenance and insurance Checks and record of vehicle daily log and fuel consumption;
• Liaise with premises owner with regards to servicing/repairs of facilities.
• Perform general office support and administrative functions (e.g., recording personnel leave and attendance, travel requests, contracts preparation, supporting visa applications, etc.);
• Ensure proper documentation and filing (both paper and electronic).
• General office management, including cleaning services and the procurement, maintenance, security and repair of office equipment.
Provides effective support to Programme and projects formulation and implementation:
• Support project documentation preparation, work plans, budgets;
• Maintain and keep (original) donor and partner-related documentation of the project;
• Provide both internal and external clients (including Country Offices) with timely and adequate support/ information on programme and project activities;
• Backstopping CO Programme Associates in administrative and operational matters if needed;
• Support to COs in preparing project budget revisions, review of budget revisions
• Support to operational and financial closure of projects, including appropriate reporting to HQ.
Provides financial support to the IDE Practice focusing on achievement of the following results;
• Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, review of projects Financial Reports;
• Support with creation of projects in Atlas, creation of project award, determination of un-utilized funds and donor balances, operational and financial close of a project;
• Support with Annual review of project transactions and follow up on Atlas generated Combined Delivery Reports (CDRs) that should be signed by the project managers and uploaded to Atlas;
• Recommends and makes the budget revisions ensuring that appropriate formats are used and uploaded to Atlas;
• Sets up and monitors the budgets, updates financial information on delivery and status of implementation of the projects.
Provides operational support to IDE Practice focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
• Support with payments in ERP, following up payment of vendors Creation and with introduction of e-procurement module approval of requisitions in Atlas for projects;
• Supports monthly, quarterly and annual closure of accounts as per instructions issued by the appropriate unit;
• Assists in meetings, drafts minutes and correspondence as requested;
• Assists in ad-hoc Practice administrative and operational issues as requested.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Organization of trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme;
• Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme;
• Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
The Programme Associate will directly report to the Programme Coordinator.
• Achieve Result: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline;
• Think Innovatively: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements;
• Learn Continuously: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback;
• Adapt with Agility: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible;
• Act with Determination: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident;
• Engage and Partner: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships;
• Enable Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
• Manage performance and ensure accountability.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
• The ability to acquire goods, services or works from an outside external source.
Documents and records Management
• Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving.
Events management (including retreats, trainings and meetings)
• Ability to manage events, including venue identification, accommodation, logistics, catering, transportation, and cash disbursements, etc.
Human centered Design
• Ability to develop solutions to problems by involving the human perspective in all steps of the problem-solving process.
• Ability to effectively plan, organize, and oversee the Organization’s business processes in order to convert its assets into the best results in the most efficient manner. Knowledge of relevant concepts and mechanisms.
• Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks.
• Each office to ensure sufficient inventory items are available for use as well as reporting for items which are beyond the corporate threshold of $5K and above.
Required Skills and Experience
• Secondary Education
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Social Science or related field is desirable but not a requirement.
Experience and required skills
• Minimum 7 years (Secondary Education) or 4 years (Bachelor degree) of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level;
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
• High level planning, organizational and time management skills, including flexibility, attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines;
• Excellent organizational and technical skills;
• Good interpersonal and multi-tasking skills;
• Advanced knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is desirable;
• Experience working in NGOS and private sector is desirable.
• Proficiency in English language (written and oral).
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 84
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Apply online at https://estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/requisitions/job/3613