Program Officer – Immunization – Ministry of Health
Jobs at:FHI 360
Deadline of this Job:
21 May 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Friday, May 14, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
About FHI 360
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research, and technology - creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries. FHI 360 implements USAID MCHN project that aims to strengthen the Government of Uganda's (GOU) performance in implementing strategies to improve maternal, newborn and child health and nutrition outcomes, including the implementation of Kampala-based work to develop effective models to improve services for urban populations, focusing on under-served/resourced communities.
Position: Program Officer – Immunization – Ministry of Health (01)
Location: Kampala, Uganda (local position)
Reports to: Senior Advisor, MNCH
FHI360 is seeking to recruit for a Program Officer-Immunization position to provide ongoing technical and coordination support to Uganda's Expanded Program for Immunization (EPI) platform at national level, including its layering of COVID19 vaccine deployment program on the platform. Reporting to a designated supervisor at the Ministry of Health (MOH) and a Senior MNCH Advisor at FHI 360, the program officer will have the following roles and responsibilities:
Support MOH Division of Vaccines and Immunization (EPI) program and data teams to strengthen the national immunization platform to effectively roll out the COVID-19 vaccine through the following roles, among others:
(i) Provide ongoing support to the MOH EPI team in coordination and management of activities for deployment of COVID-19 and other vaccines:
• Convening and management of routine and adhoc stakeholder coordination meetings
• Follow up with districts and partners to ensure fidelity in implementation of their respective vaccine roll out plans, and apprise management of progress of implementation on an ongoing basis.
• Convening and management of national and regional level performance review meetings, ensuring that learnings and best practices are routinely shared, progress effectively monitored and agreed upon corrective actions addressed by respective districts and partners
• Provide logistics, coordination, and technical support for conducting trainings and mentorships for district and implementing partner teams on use of COVID-19 data management and reporting tools to improve the quality of data and use data to for improvement
(ii) Utilization of data for planning, decisions making and learning:
• Support ongoing efforts for collating, analysis and sharing of data reported from vaccination sites on a daily and weekly basis, and development of progress updates reports and presentations on behalf of the program manager and his team
• Work with the EPI Division M&E team in the conduct of routine data reviews on a weekly, monthly, and quarterly basis to identify data quality issues and share feedback with district teams and ensure that quality issues are adequately addressed and on time. This will include visualization of data in easy-to-use dash boards, and dissemination of these to stakeholders for planning and use to inform improvements and adaptation in the COVID-19 vaccination implementation strategy
• Harvesting and documentation of success stories and best practices, and sharing learnings through various forums for scale up
• Support tracking of COVID-19 tools stock levels at district and site level
(iii) Support MOH efforts for operationalizing a robust system for documentation and management of COVID-19 vaccine adverse events
• Convening and management of stakeholder engagement meetings to continuously review functionality and management of the adverse events reporting and management system and identify best practices and improvement areas for redress.
• Provide coordination and logistics support to the MOH's operationalization of a vaccine adverse events reporting and information management and response system.
• Facilitate linkages with the USAID SBC Activity and MOH Department of Health Promotion to ensure that district. teams and their respective vaccination sites/teams are equipped with knowledge and skills for risk communication and community engagement (RCCE) for adverse events.
(iv) Support coordination for MOH efforts for engagement with private sector health actors:
• Coordinate logistics and networking support to the MOH team and relevant bodies in engagements with private sector actors to build consensus on and advance opportunities for leveraging the sector in importation, distribution, and delivery of vaccines, aligned to the national vaccine deployment plan
Required Experience & Qualifications
• A basic degree in medicine or related health sciences, AND a post-graduate degree in either Public Health or Epidemiology or another related field
• Minimum of 3-5years of work experience in public health program implementation
• Significant experience and or knowledge on Uganda's public sector immunization program, including related key monitoring indicators
• Ability to work with and understand health data and health management information systems, including presentation of data in creative ways.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, and must be able to communicate and coordinate effectively with other donors and partners
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Candidates should submit a cover letter, CV including salary requirements/expectations by email to: [email protected] not later than Friday 21st May 2021 .
Please indicate the title of the position in the email subject line.