Jobs at:Caritas Kotido Diocese
Deadline of this Job:
22 January 2021
Within Uganda , Abim , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Caritas Kotido Diocese was established in 1991 as the social services and development arm of the Catholic Diocese of Kotido and also known as the Charity of the Bishop of Kotido Catholic Diocese. Caritas Kotido Diocese operates under the registered Trustee of Kotido Diocese and uses the Certi?cate of Incorporation of “Kotido Diocese” as a corporate body under the name “THE REGISTERED TRUSTEES OF KOTIDO DIOCESE”.
As a development arm of the Diocese; its scope of operation spans across the Districts of Kotido, Abim, Kaabong and Karenga with a total area of 13,245 Sq. Km with a population of 457,222 (UBOS, 2014). Caritas Kotido Diocese works through a network of structures and registered community groups in North Karamoja. The major projects of focus are on livelihoods, food and nutrition security, governance, HIV and AIDS, gender based violence, WASH, Disaster Risk Management/Climate change adaptation, environmental conservation and ecosystem restoration, reduction of violence against women, child protection, humanitarian assistance, Resilience building, women & youth skilling, economic empowerment and Justice and Peace. The vision of Caritas Kotido Diocese is to have “a seljlreliant, just and peaceful community. " The mission is “T0 empower vulnerable communities through sustainable development programs. ”
Caritas Kotido Diocese is part of a consortium led by Catholic Relief Services (CRS) to run a ?ve-year (October 2017- September 2022) Food for Peace (FFP), Development Food Security Activities (DFSA) USAID funded program entitled “Nuyok” meaning “ours” whose goal is to build resilience to shocks, enhance livelihoods and improve food security and nutrition for vulnerable rural families in four districts of Karamoja viz: Abim, Nabilatuk, Nakapiripirit and Napak - which are homes to 406,880 people living in an estimated 58,126 households. Caritas Kotido Diocese through support from CRS implements the activities of NUYOK Program in Abim District.
In order to effectively implement the program activities, Caritas Kotido Diocese is seeking to recruit quali?ed and competent individuals to fill up the positions below.
Position title: Program Manager - Foundation
Reports to: Program Coordinator - Nuyok
Supervises: Gender Officer, Community Planning Of?cer, Social cohesion Officer
Location: Abim District
Ensure the development and implementation of all activities of the foundation thematic component of the Nuyok program in accordance with approved project documents and budgets and take overall responsibility for its successful operation. This thematic component of the program is foundational to many of the activities implemented in the other thematic areas of Resilience, Livelihoods and Health, Nutrition/WASH. .
Major duties and responsibilities:
Key Result #1: Program development in the area
• Coordinate and ensure that all planned activities under this component are properly implemented according to the approved theory of change for the program and the thematic area.
• To oversee and ensure that program implementation is all inclusive and consistent with Caritas Kotido relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan and the overall donor/partner country strategy.
• Build relationships with the local community, leaders and churches and Work with local CSOs, formal and informal stakeholders, and communities to develop inclusive capacity building strategies and plans focusing on technical and networking capacities.
• Conduct needs assessments for potential supplementary projects and write reports and proposals as necessary with Strategic Plan and thematic area.
• Research and develop materials related to potential Gender and Governance activities to strengthen the capacity of government and traditional leaders in community engagement skills, including facilitation, consultation, negotiation, and participatory planning and budgeting.
• Develop program implementation strategies in close collaboration with the Purpose team based on objectives.
• Actively contribute to the development of funding proposals to ensure availability of adequate ?nancial resources for activities beyond the current project together with the Resource Mobilization team.
Key Result #2: Program Monitoring and Evaluation
• Ensure program implementation is within agreed plans (timeline, budgets, impact)
• Enhance team synergy through joint planning and regular communication
• Ensure timely and accurate reporting of program activities.
• Collaboratively work with M&E to ensure program activities and outcomes are aligned to objectives and adjusted as necessary.
• Supervise the work of the Community Planning Officer and Gender officer to ensure timely collection of data in the ?eld and feeding into the data base/Comcare.
• Gather/analyze data and complete assessments to determine community needs and priorities. Work with programs and technical support units on development of new strategies and generation of learning questions.
Key Result #3: Liaison with Donor, Local Government Agencies, local/National/International NGOs and Religious Organizations (stakeholder engagement).
• Cultivate and ensure professional relationships and communication with local authorities and other relevant collaborators of the project area as necessary to obtain program approval and to understand polices related to programming issues.
• Represent Caritas Kotido Diocese and the programme in the district pamer coordination meetings to share outcomes of the Program work in the communities and remodel the strategies.
• Liaise with local and regional government officials, traditional leaders, local NGOs and civil society organizations, and other relevant stakeholders to ensure support for and acceptance of Caritas Kotido Diocese programs, coordination with actors working on related issues, cross-learning to generate learning questions and respond to them.
Key result#4: Program Administration/Finance
• Develop and revise budgets for operational and program purpose in accordance with program objectives within the Finance regulations
• Liaise with ?nance department to ensure monthly ?nancial reports are submitted in line with the narrative and generate the fund requests in a very timely manner.
• Prepare timely cash ?ow projections for the purpose periods based on implantation plans i.e. DlP budget etc.
• In close collaboration with procurement team, develop program procurement plans and ensure timely execution of the same.
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on one and performance reviews.
• Manage the budget allocated to the stated objectives in accordance to Caritas Kotido Diocese, intemational, National and local ?nancial policies.
Key Result #5: Human Capital (personnel)
• Lead and manage staff ensuring clarity over strategy, plans and priorities, providing supervision, guidance and mentoring, encouraging effective teamwork and inclusiveness and building a team spirit through regular meetings and events.
• Provide management support to direct reports in their supervision of others, and their implementation of objectives, work plans and budgets.
• Set performance targets for the team and appraise at the end of the performance circle.
• Contribute to development and modeling a team culture characterized by a shared vision, commitment and mutual accountability that re?ects Caritas Kotido Diocese desired corporate values and the social teachings of the Catholic Church.
• Create structured opportunities to encourage learning from all staff, ensuring internal and external evaluations and reviews are undertaken as appropriate. Ensure recommendations are implemented and learning is shared across the wider team.
• In close collaboration with the BOD and HR Department, participate in the recruitment of competent staff as need may arise from time to time, manage personnel performance and enhance career growth and development.
• Any other duties assigned.
Quali?cation, skills and experience:
• The ideal candidate for this vacancy should hold a Bachelor’s degree in any of the following; Development Studies, Social Sciences, Gender, Social Work & Social Administration and Political Studies. A postgraduate diploma in the relevant ?eld is a requirement. A master’s degree in the relevant ?eld is an added advantage.
• Minimum of 3-5 years‘ experience in managing development programs or projects, gender & governance and livelihoods preferably with NGOs /lNGOs/FBOs.
• Proven understanding of best practices of gender and governance approaches in development The applicant must be a proven leader who can effectively manage other staff and work within a team, work independently and take initiative.
• Proven experience with project management tools such as log frames, monitoring and evaluation tools and budget forecast and control.
• Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
• Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
• Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to analyse and write technical reports.
• Excellent inter-personal skills including training, monitoring and supporting staff
• Experience and skills in community action planning, networking and research, analysis and report writing
• Proactive, results and service-oriented.
• Knowledgeable oflocal language(s) i.e. Thur or Luo
• Possession of a valid riding permit is a must.
Job Education Requirements: Bachelor’s degree
Job Experience Requirements: 3 -5 years
Agency-wide Competencies (for all Caritas Kotido Diocese Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of Caritas Kotido Diocese and
used by each staff member to ful?ll his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Team Work
• Passion to serve the poor and vulnerable communities
• Accountability & Stewardship
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
These job descriptions are not an exhaustive list of the skills, efforts, duties, and responsibilities associated with the positions.
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and vision. Caritas Kotido Diocese is a charity of the Bishop of Kotido Catholic Diocese that serves the interest of the poor and vulnerable communities. We welcome as a part of our staff, people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. Caritas Kotido Diocese processes and policies re?ect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Quali?ed and interested candidates for the above positions should submit their application letters, curriculum vitae with three work related referees having contacts & e-mails, certi?ed copies of relevant Academic and work base documents and Hand deliver to Caritas Kotido - Abim ?eld Of?ce, Kaabong Field Of?ce or Caritas Kotido Diocese Head office well
The Human Resource Officer,
Caritas Kotido Diocese,
P.O BOX 55,
Submission deadline: 22nd January 2021 at 5:00pm
1All quali?ed candidates are encouraged to apply though only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
No applications can be accepted after the deadline.
Canvassing for support will lead to automatic disquali?cation.
Applications without certi?ed academic documents shall not be considered.
Caritas Kotido does not discriminate on any ground, all quali?ed applicants are encouraged to apply.