Deadline of this Job:
27 January 2022
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that's where you come in....
How you'll help us achieve it
We are looking for a Procurement Manager who's resourceful, organized, and proactive about getting things done. Under the Financial Controller's supervision, you'll be responsible for overseeing purchasing activities and, together with the requesting unit ensuring that purchased items are cost-efficient and of high quality.
In this role, you'll:
• Oversee all purchasing activities
• Follow, enforce and improve the company's procurement policies and procedures.
• Prepare plans to purchase equipment, services, and supplies working with the requesting units.
• Review, compare, analyze and approve products and services to be purchased.
• Research and evaluate prospective suppliers
• Evaluate suppliers every year at least
• Maintain and update a vendor master file
• Maintain good supplier relations and negotiate contracts
• Prepare budgets, cost analyses, and reports.
• Location: You'll work from our Kampala office and may travel to field locations.
• Work authorization in Uganda is required.
• This is a permanent job.
• Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
• We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
• We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
• We help you live your fullest life now! We subsidize gym memberships, fitness classes, and workout equipment.
• Airtime reimbursement
• Free food and a beautiful office space
• A Bachelor's or Master's degree in supply chain or business management
• 3+ years experience in a supervisory capacity as Procurement Manager or a similar position
• Good computer skills, especially in Excel and Word
• Knowledge of procurement software tools
• Strong communication and negotiation skills
• Speak English and another local language fluently
You might be a good fit if you.
• Have experience in logistics or supply chain management
• Are excessively detail-oriented and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
• Are a critical thinker that likes to challenge the status quo.
• Are deadline-orientated.
• Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
• Love owning projects - you're autonomous yet know when to escalate problems.
• Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
• Know how to maintain confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
• Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions while managing time factors.
• Have excellent analytical and strategic thinking skills
• We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
• We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
• We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Use the link below to apply.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.