People and Culture Manager
Jobs at:World Vision Uganda (WVU)
Deadline of this Job:
02 September 2021
Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
World Vision Uganda (WVU) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy non-government organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We currently work in 43 districts and have 48 Area Programmes implementing projects in health & nutrition, water, sanitation & hygiene (WASH), livelihoods & resilience, education and child protection. World Vision (WV) is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from exploitation and abuse and will not employ people whose background is not suitable for working with these beneficiaries. All employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks where possible.
Due to expansion in scope of our programmes, we are now seeking for a qualified and passionate individual willing to share in our vision and join the team in the following role.
Position: People and Culture Manager
Report to: People and Culture Director
Location: Kampala – National Office
Purpose of the Position:
To plan, review and implement mechanisms of attracting, developing, utilizing and retaining a committed high quality workforce in line with World Vision strategy and policies through effective business partnering.
People & Culture Policy/Strategy
• Actively participate and take lead where required in the development, review and implementation of P&C divisional strategy
• In consultation with Divisional Director and other managers within the division, develop, review and update People and Culture policies as and when applicable
• Proactively advice management and staff of any changes in P&C policies, employment law and guidelines; and the implications thereof
• Support contextualization of P&C global policies.
HR Business Processes & Systems
• Ensure standardization of HR business processes across World Vision Uganda.
• Monitor and continually review P&C processes and systems to ensure relevance and compliance.
• Lead in the implementation and roll of new people and culture policies, processes and initiatives across WVU programmes.
• Plan and implement delivery of staff wellness programs in collaboration with P&C Business Partners
• Coordinate with P&C Business partners in carrying out HR wellbeing surveys.
• In collaboration with Spiritual Nurture Manager develop and implement spiritual care programs across WVU
• Carry out regional HR support visits to address staff concerns that need attention
• Recommend/implement appropriate actions to address issues raised in HR clinics.
• Coordinate timely investigations of grievances and disciplinary issues and facilitate mediation and inquiries and ensure conclusion and responses to the parties involved.
• Review exit reports/Carry out staff exit meetings and regularly prepare appropriate recommendations/reports for management action.
• Plan for and implement regular scheduled and unscheduled HR audits and other risk mitigation measures. Ensure identified gaps are addressed within agreed timeline(s) and recommend to management appropriate action to mitigate future risks.
• Maintain comprehensive human resource records and oversee the management and operation of HRIS to ensure compliance with organizational and legal requirements, as well as provide HR information to the organization.
• Prepare P&C budget estimates and regularly monitor P&C budget spend. Advise on appropriate corrective action where necessary.
HR Business Partnering
• Work with line managers to address people concerns
• In collaboration with the recruitment manager and hiring managers, support the timely acquisition and placement of quality staff in accordance with applicable policies and guidelines.
• Together with other people and culture managers at the national office, ensure provision of high quality HR support and transaction services to all HR clients. Proactively and on demand provide HR guidance and advice to management and staff.
Talent Management and Development
• In collaboration with the L&OD Manager, support the implementation of staff learning and development plans and initiatives
• Implement strategies that will help to identify, develop and retain high potential staff
• Design and deliver employee training programs in talent development
• Advise leadership/ management and P&C team on talent related issues
• Act as focal point for reporting and management of sexual harassment allegations in WVU.
• Work with sexual harassment committee in ensuring sexual harassment allegations are investigated timely and appropriate actions/recommendations are implemented to close of cases.
• Ensure all staff are educated in the WVU sexual harassment policy and attendant reporting protocols and measures/mechanisms are in place to build a culture of zero tolerance of sexual harassment in the organization.
• Provide technical support to the P&C Business Partners. Effectively supervise P&C Business partners to ensure that they carry out their responsibilities to the required standards
• Carry out continuous assessment, coaching, mentoring and counseling for P&C Business partners.
• Identify P&C Business partner’s capacity gaps and support/initiate strategies to remedy them. Support the career growth and development of P&C teams
• Promote a performance culture in World Vision Uganda through capacity building of staff/managers on understanding of the process and methodology(ies)
• In conjunction with P&C Business partners and department managers, coordinate and ensure timely setting and review of performance agreements for staff at national office and regions. Ensure that subsequent feedbacks and follow-ups are logically concluded.
• Consolidate and regularly avail performance management information for use in management decision making.
• Prepare and submit departmental reports and other briefs to the Division Director as and when required.
• Proactively work with the P&C team to ensure divisional mandates are achieved to the required standard.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration or Social sciences with post graduate qualifications in HR or equivalent field of study
• Membership to HR professional body such as (HRMAU and INGO Network) is an added advantage
• Five years’ broad experience in Human Resources Management in a relatively large, complex and busy environment. Prior experience in a management/supervisory role required
• Previous experience working in humanitarian/development contexts with a good understanding of INGO procedures
• Knowledge of Ugandan labour laws is required
• Understanding of general human resources policies & procedures and best practices.
• Must have strong critical thinking, problem solving, interpersonal and oral/written communication skills with great fluency in English
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and timely accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously, pro-actively as well as provide a high-level customer service.
• Possess cross-cultural sensitivity, knowledge and ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds.
• Spiritual maturity - ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
• Demonstrated computer literacy (MS Office Suite: MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint and databases) with hands on experience in tracking recruitment outcomes/metrics.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please click here to apply.