- Company: Wave Mobile Money
- Location: Uganda
- State: Uganda
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Accounting Jobs in Uganda
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That’s for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We’re solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don’t always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. In 2019, we expanded to Cote d’Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. And that’s where you come in….
How you’ll help us achieve it
We’re looking for Payroll Admin Assistant who’s resourceful, organised and proactive about getting things done. You will be responsible for administrative tasks, including payroll under the supervision of the Payroll Manager as we rapidly scale our business in Uganda.
In this role, you’ll:
- Keep up to date the employee Master Data via our HRIS (Bamboo HR)
- Prepare employment contracts
- Be responsible of registering new employees to our health insurance program
- Be responsible of administrative tasks and issue administrative documents to Wave employees
- Support preparation of our monthly payroll
- Prepare monthly returns and all payroll reports issued to Finance
- Do payroll reconciliation every month
- Make sure that all relevant vacations be recorded in Bamboo HR
- Location: You’ll work from our office in Kampala
- You must have work authorisation in Uganda
- This is a full-time role
- Knowledge of Uganda labour laws and taxation.
- Very fluent in English.
- Excellent data analysis and use of spreadsheets
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in payroll administration
- A bachelors degree in Accounting or a related business field.
- Progress on a professional course like CPA will be an added advantage.
- Strong organisation skills.
- Microsoft office experience with a bias towards Excel.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are data and privacy-conscious
- Are able to work under tight deadlines and pressure
- Are rigorous and seek to achieve excellence in everything you do.
- Are very organised with a good sense of prioritisation
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions.
- Are comfortable with figures and analysis
- Are not afraid to take initiative or owning a project
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D’Ivoire, Mali and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We’re deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You’ll own your own projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Sequoia, Stripe, Founders Fund, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.